Author Topic: Another BIS - To Spain!  (Read 31293 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Another BIS - New head, plus Bonus Fiat Images!
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2017, 06:09:16 AM »
That's something I've always wanted to do! I'ld like to get some photos of Luigi next to some famous landmarks :D
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

jonny126

Re: Another BIS - New head, plus Bonus Fiat Images!
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
Got the MOT done today, first stepping stone was making it there, which he did fine! Me and my mechanic friend fiddled with the idle and mixture screws and he idles a lot better now, though he still takes a while to start when warm, and there's an intermittent high idle too? Either way, he runs well, is really drivable and is an absolute blast!

I manged to get some pictures of the first fully road legal drive since 2001. To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. I'll take the missus out in it later to see what she thinks. I'll swap the front leaf for a slightly higher one, as I didn't think it'd be THAT low at the front, and it should look a bit more balanced once the front is raised a little bit.

So a few little things to sort out, and a headunit/speaker wiring, but I'm glad I can drive it daily now. Great timing considering the improving weather.

But I am a happy man!

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Another BIS - MOT Passed!
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »
Outstanding work Jonny you've done very well indeed there - it wasn't that long ago that it was just gathering dust in your garage which is something that a lot of us can relate to  :$ and you've also finished it in time for the show season  :P

Good work :thumbup

cider

• Subscribers
Re: Another BIS - MOT Passed!
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
Great Result Jonny ;D
Yer tis a proper job cause i see little people

jonny126

Re: Another BIS - Hot start woes . . .
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »
Cheers guys.

Did the timing at the weekend, but it STILL struggles to start when warm. I'm yet to check the plugs, and I'll have another play with the mixture and idle screws. A bit lost though as the carb was rebuilt and it runs lovely when cold. I'll do a compression check too, but I'm running out of options. Timing wise, am I right in thinking the 10 deg BTDC marker is the left most one?

Got a full day on it tomorrow so we'll see what that turns up.

But, have some pics of a cat helping, and the car with different backgrounds.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:27:28 PM by jonny126 »

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Another BIS - Hot start woes. . .
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »
Hi jonny yes 10 BTDC is the first of the three from the left. Remember if your checking your timing with a strobe gun then you'll need to disconnect the vacuum hose and plug it up with something (I use a small Philips screwdriver ) then adjust your timing

jonny126

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:19 PM »
Hi jonny yes 10 BTDC is the first of the three from the left. Remember if your checking your timing with a strobe gun then you'll need to disconnect the vacuum hose and plug it up with something (I use a small Philips screwdriver ) then adjust your timing

Cheers Gadge, will do. We didn't do that last time. So the 10 deg BTDC is a base line, and you adjust from that then? Any idea what you are running?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
It's not so much a base line, 10 degrees BTDC is the actual recommended timing mark in the manual. This is what I run mine to (with the vacuum off of course)

jonny126

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »
Had a HUGE explosion from the exhaust trying to get it to start when hot. Advanced the timing to about 15 Deg and it seems to start fine when hot now. We'll see. No bloody idea what to do though, that's pretty advanced. Searching at idle too. Tried checking for leaks around the carb and nothing, so I'm stumped really. Argh.  :$

Gadget, are you running leaded additive or anything like that at 10 Deg BTDC?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:49:59 PM by jonny126 »

Xylaquin

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2017, 01:50:55 AM »
What about your valves? timing chain?

jonny126

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »
Head is all new, so lapped those ok, did the clearances and thought they were ok too. Timing chain i didn't touch, but it's another thing to add the the list. I'll just check everything ha ha!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
No additive for me just basic unleaded. You'll need to make sure your points gap is spot on as if they are incorrect you'll have too weak a spark. They do have a habit of moving not long after you've set them up  :$

jonny126

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »
Thanks Gadge, all useful info, I'm just trying to eliminate things! Funnily enough I thought I'd swap the plugs, they were new, but NOS. Swapped them for some brand new ones and he seems fine when hot now. A good few cranks to get him going but he's started every time. Could be just luck but time will tell. I'll bring back the timing to 10 deg BTDC and see what affect that has.

Drove to Ledbury and back, as well as Tickmorend and back, only hiccup being the plastic link that attaches the cable to the carb throttle gave up the ghost (thread had gone), so had to bodge it with cable ties! Got us to our destination, and back again so I was happy with how it all worked out! I fixed that properly with a bolt and a few nuts welded together to extend the linkage to some of the plastic thread that was still ok.

About 110 miles to a tank with little journeys too so approx. 120-130 miles tops, which seems pretty consistent with what others say on here, I had my doubts about the fuel gauge but for now it seems to be telling an approximate truth!

I'll post some pictures up once I'm back home.

jonny126

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
Well we're on our way to Spain! Just got on the ferry. In between now and last I posted not a lots happened. Just been using the car as much as we can, though I replaced the condenser, and checked and adjusted the timing and plug gaps and starts fine when warm now. Ive Alos put in some sound deadening.

Running well on the way down, but gets a little hot on inclines with 2 1/2 weeks worth of camping gear. Below is a stop just before the top of a hill on the way, just for a cool off.

Sods law we're leaving the nice weather of Britain behind, due to be really nice this week! That's the way it works. We'll see how well the Fiat deals with the warmer Spanish weather. We made the ferry no problem though. That's the first hurdle!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:19:06 AM by Pete126 »

pietschokkenbroek

Re: Another BIS - To Spain!
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
Have a save trip, enjoy! :thumbup