Author Topic: Back garden 126 project. [Northern Ireland]  (Read 8828 times)

NathanMcM

Back garden 126 project. [Northern Ireland]
« on: April 26, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
Welcome to my restoration!  8)

On the 13/04/16 I was hoping to buy a set of Uno turbo wheels for my Fiat Seicento when my dad spotted a 126 local to us on Gumtree for £300 so without even thinking we both knew we had to go and see the car.  About 2 hours later we were at the guys house standing right in front of us was a brown Fiat 126 and instantly my dad fell in love with it and I just knew the car was already being built in his mind.
I seen a old dirty/rusty Fiat laying in a guys garage and had a lot of doubts at first being completely clueless about restoring cars but my dad having a lot mechanical know how and history with restoring Fiats he reassured me this car will be mint if we both just put the effort in so we bought it that night. :lol:
Retro as f**k.

NathanMcM

Re: Back garden 126 project. [Northern Ireland]
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »
On the 16/04/16 we returned to the guys house and loaded it onto the trailer and that's when I knew this car really is beyond cool. :o

The only problem with buying this car is that we don't own a garage so me & my dad being so in love with the little 126 we came up with this bright idea that were just going to put in the back garden and that's exactly what we did. 

So we finally got the little 126 home and with 4 very unhealthy men and a lot of swearing we finally got it in the back garden and that's when the I soon realized I should kiss my wages good bye and say hello to some much needed car parts. :beer:

Retro as f**k.

NathanMcM

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:18:22 AM »
So now the little 126 is in the back garden ready for some much needed love so me & my dad got right to it, We started by giving it a good clean and it looked 1000x better straight away clearing all the doubts I ever had of the stunning little thing. So once the cleaning was done we tried firing it up and soon came to realization that it wasn't getting a spark at all so we got ordering some parts. A few days later a new coil, spark plugs, ignition leads, points and a few other bits arrived and with plenty of "quick start" she lit right up.

Leaving the little 126 for a few days we thought we should get to handling the little amount of surface rust it had and get it ready for paint prep. I sanded half the car down and my dad removed all the surface rust that was on the little thing. Surprisingly the only major rust on the car was on the front panel and not having a welder we had to order a new one so fingers crossed it will arrive soon.

So the next step was to fill it up with some petrol and see how it runs but unfortunately all the old petrol lines were hard as a rock and completely useless so the petrol tank had to be removed so we done that today and hopefully soon we'll know if its as mint as it looks!  :D
Retro as f**k.

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
glad you started posting on the forum aswell as facebook :) great work! look forward to seeing this done.
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

shielsy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
nice one an original irish car too

NathanMcM

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »
Front panel still not arrived yet unfortunately, So back to sanding and more paint prep until pay day. Can't wait to order more parts! ;D
Retro as f**k.

Scratchski

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »
Aw man  :D didn't realise it was an original RHD you have, looks great, keeping an eye on your resto. Good luck mate

NathanMcM

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:38:43 AM »
After only posting about my little 126 on the "Fiat 126 group UK" I have returned to my thread but to be honest nothing exciting has happened. Well maybe a few things...  ;)

Due to me slacking off my thread I'll have to try and remember how we got to where we are now haha.

Front where we left off:

That front panel finally arrived encase your wondering and I bought myself some X19 wheels for this little beast  :D

That weekend the front panel arrived we cut the old rusty panel out and removed the remaining rust around it and welded it all up ready for the new one to be put on.

After a few weekdays/weekends going back and forth trying to get this little beast ready for paint we're finally here, Well nearly...

During the time of going back and forth we had removed all the surface rust, got rid of all the little dents/bangs and got her all ready for sanding down. By this stage we had the passenger side done, the roof and the rear ready for sanding.

Where we are at the minute:

I finally had a few days off work so I got round to sanding the rear, drivers side and engine lid ready for the weekend ahead.

This weekend Me, My dad and my dads friend got hard at it with this paint prep. First thing off our list was to put that bloody front panel on, It's finally on and looks mint if I do say so myself.

Once that was out of the way we got straight back the body work and removed all the handles, windows and sanded it all down ready for primer. Just a few touch ups and we are ready for paint!!!

Everything on the car is sitting mint at the minute and were hoping to get it painted this weekend or next. We still haven't made our minds up on colour but we like Honda Repsol orange but nothing is 100% yet.

Stay tuned lads this time I'll actually keep you guys updated and not just give the lads over at the Facebook group a look. 8)

Few pictures from where we left off & this weekend.  :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:43:12 AM by NathanMcM »
Retro as f**k.

NathanMcM

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 03:30:45 AM »
Quick update.

Paint finally arrived and we've gone with the Honda Repsol Orange and it looks bloody maaaaad!

Today I helped my dad give the car a few final touch ups and came home from work to a paint ready car. (well apart from a few we bits but were finishing that all up tomorrow)
By the sounds of things my dads starting painting tomorrow if the weather holds up but unfortunately I wont be able to get pictures due to being at work but I'll try get some up on Monday sometime if alls being well.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:32:26 AM by NathanMcM »
Retro as f**k.

NathanMcM

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
IT'S FINALLY PAINTED!!!  ;D

So we bought a compressor and got round to painting it today and it looks maaaaad.

The Honda Repsol Orange is just perfect in my opinion and I really can't wait for all the lights ect to be fitted.

I have to give it to my dad he really is talented.

Retro as f**k.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 07:08:34 AM »
Fantastic restoration buddy :thumbup I love that colour! And to think you did it yourselfs puts me to shame :D well done

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:43:46 PM by ChrisRLewis »
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

NathanMcM

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »
Cheers badge appreciate it. Have you a build thread yourself?

I don't think I'll address your ridiculous comment Shielsy hahaha
Retro as f**k.

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 12:42:14 PM »
Well done, I sprayed both my cars in the back garden under a gazebo not the easiest way to get a good finish with flying bugs intoxicated on the paint fumes, love the colour, looking good. Keep up the good work.

Ralph

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
Some messages have been removed from this thread..

Put the handbags away guys ;) Club126UK is a friendly place, any arguments should be taken out through PM's and not the forum board. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:45:18 PM by ChrisRLewis »

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »
Cheers badge appreciate it. Have you a build thread yourself?

Yes I do :) it's coming to the final stages. I've got a BIS here's the link

http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8753.0
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D