Author Topic: My 126 Bis won't rev.  (Read 1517 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
My 126 Bis won't rev.
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
Unfortunately, there is something wrong with my Fiat 126. The AA had to tow me home.

Firstly, when starting the car from cold with the choke up (clutch depressed), I was literally kicking/pumping the accelerator to get the car started. Otherwise it would not start. It felt like there wasn't enough petrol getting into the carb. Once it started to fire up, it felt like it was running on one cylinder. Once it felt normal, with the choke still up. The idling was very uneven. It would rev high up because of the choke, then drop to almost dying, then it would rev up again wildly, then drop again to almost dying. This continued for 15 minutes of so.

When driving it, it wouldn't accelerate. Shifting from first to second is fine until you press the accelerator, and the car actually slows down, and then jumps forward. It does the same on third. Once you press the accelerator, actually slows down, like it was running out of breath, then jumps forward. It felt like it wants to accelerate, but something is stopping it. 

The top speed on third was 25mph. It would not go any faster. Shifting to second, it slowed further, would not go beyond 20mph. Then it just went downhill from then on.

The car would not rev., but would happily idle. Shift to first gear, it would not rev higher than a certain point, not enough to get the car moving. Give it some more gas, it would not rev higher. The engine would just die if you try to go forward on first gear.

Proeitti recently rebuilt (due to timing chain breaking in July last year) the engine, and recently torqued down the tappets. The tappets are very noisy. Not sure what is causing it.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

Best regards,
Angelo

Xylaquin

Re: My 126 Bis won't rev.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »
blocked carb jets is my first idea. Has the car been standing? perhaps it's gummed up a bit

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 10:49:44 PM »
I didn't drive it for about three plus months.

I drove it today. Weirdly, it appeared to have cured itself. Everything seem fine. It is still spewing out coolant though.

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 11:27:17 PM »
Head gasket.....🤷‍♂️ Mines doing the same....plus there's a bit of oil emulsification at the filler cap....

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 12:30:11 AM »
With it being stood for 3 months it could have an airlock, try bleeding the system first 😉
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 12:01:58 PM »
The day before the incident, I filled the car up with petrol. I knew I wouldn't be driving it for at least six months (secondment overseas), so I made sure it had a bit of petrol (low level light flashing) in it in case it got stolen.

Could it be the new petrol was bad? Maybe the bottom of the tank was dirty. I drove it again today. It seems fine.

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »
If it's spewing out coolant, first check the expansion tank isn't overfilled, it's easy done if the coolant level sensor is faulty.

I didn't drive it for about three plus months.

I drove it today. Weirdly, it appeared to have cured itself. Everything seem fine. It is still spewing out coolant though.