Author Topic: Disc brakes - advice please...  (Read 6966 times)

rizlarizla

Disc brakes - advice please...
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »
hi

With drums all round on my current BIS - I am looking at attempting a front brake disc conversion using fiat seicento parts...is this possible??

what would i need from a donor seicento? I will probably take the discs, calipers, hubs, whatever brake line hoses i can get I suppose...? anything else? :)

Any other advice or help anyone can offer?

Plus is there anything else I can use off this car?
(A friend of a friend is breaking his car....so i thought this might be a good way to get some useful parts...i will be checking out the interior incase that can be used..has anyone doen this before?)

Appreciate any pointers   [-/

Riz
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:59:03 PM by rizlarizla »

dajwid

• Subscribers
Re: Disc brakes - advice please...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
Plenty on here with the disc conversion, You will need to make or buy the mounting plates. I had a 126 with discs and personally was not too impressed as were VERY aggressive, but many ise them and are over the moon.

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »
Im in the middle of a disc brake converion right now I'll be posting a pic by pic guide once I'm done, re the harshness did you fit a bias valve to allow you to fine tune the braking from front to rear? Ive heard this can help with that...
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

rizlarizla

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
i was only thinking of front conversion only...methinks youd have to be an expert mechanic / engineer to do front and back..!

(i'm only a lowly photographer and pen pusher!)  ;)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »
Hi Riz , I have been working on the disc brake thing for a little while & the key to the whole thing seems to be what calipers you use & an appropriate mounting plate to mount the caliper on the stub axle. I have stuck to Fiat parts but I know some people have fitted Mini or Ford calipers. I have scoured the web and apart from a sketch of an adaptor plate on a Polish web site which I think may be for Panda calipers there seem to be no proper drawings for adaptor plates. The other thing is getting a setup that will fit inside the small wheels & I have seen some slightly scary stories by people taking angle grinders to the calipers to get them to clear the wheels. I decided that the only way forward was to get my hands on some of the hardware so I am now the proud owner of a pair of old Panda calipers, Cincuecento & Seicento Sporting which are all under restoration plus I got a new Punto Mk2 caliper to see how it compared to the others. Cinque & Seicento calipers are the same & I am told that they were also fitted to the early Puntos but not sure about that. Also got a pair of 240 mm discs from a Cinque for the test setup but on the lookout for the smaller 227 mm ones that are the smallest ones from Fiat that have the 98 mm four bolt wheel fixing. I am trying to get a pair of "test" adaptor plates made up from a sketch I have but my engineer contact is indisposed at the moment & I no longer have access to the machinery. So things are moving on & the aim is to put together a good useable set of plans for the conversion.  [-/

rizlarizla

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
hi matey...

a family friend has a machining workshop as a business...if you need something manuafactured..let me know details and i can ask him...he won't charge me much at all i reckon...i had done his daughters wedding photos for free...so he likes me  ;)

You are welcome to come by when part is ready or i can post to you....

I am hoping that the seicento parts i am taking will be enough !?

Riz

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
You have all you need except the adapter plates, i bought mine from TRS racing in Poland as i came to the conclusion that it would cost more to get them engineered here in the U.K. plus they are laser cut. I think they are around £20 + postage but you can Email them and he will give you the current price and postage, took 2 weeks to arrive :)

[email protected]

Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
what pete said you just need the adaptors and the spacers the rest can be bought from ebay/motor factors for not alot of cash, my whole set up including a set of ebay adaptor plates cost me less than £150

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »
Just in case anyone sees the cheap ones on Allegro, in Poland most use FSO Polonez calipers and discs.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:34:51 AM »
 :) I have sent a test e-mail to TRS Racing & will report if I get an answer. Pete do you know what calipers you are running with? Also the trade information I have tells me that those FSO Polonez discs are the 227 mm ones which are fitted to a huge range of Fiat & other make cars. Not sure what calipers they use though.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
The plates are for the Cinquecento or siecento they use the same calliper and weigh allot less than the fso polenais.
I have not got round to fitting them yet, just been waiting for the weather to improve as i need to go to the scrap yard for a pair of calliper carriers, I think Stuey has the same plates?

P.S. I think TRS have a paypal acount :)
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
yep mine have cinq brakes

bis13

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
i had a set of the fso polonez disc and calipers , and adapter plates however i thought they looked way too heavy duty for the poor 126 if you have any questions ask warren as i gave them to him.

rizlarizla

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
thanks guys for the help thus far   [-/

- do let me know about if you get an email from TRS pls...plus do they have a guide on how to fit? (if not maybe i can create something for all to use - kinda idiots guide to 126 brake conversion- as i am no mechanic!!) LOL

- i got the brakes/disc/calipers and hubs...the guy was very helpful and i think i will post his details on here because he only deals with Seicento's so there may be some of you who may want other stuff from him...
the guys name is Matt, based in SO45 area...number is 07786 334336 - TOP BLOKEY  :)

Thanks again for all the help...keep it coming...
 >:(

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Hi Riz , sounds like you have got some good stuff. I will let you know if I get a reply on the adaptor plates. Might even be able to negotiate a discount for a multiple purchase ?
Did you mean SO45 for the location for Matt as that is Southampton & is your e-mail address shown correctly on the site as I tried it out the other day ? I will be interested to know if those hubs will fit the 126 stub axles.  [-/