Author Topic: Opening front boot (trunk)  (Read 1785 times)

Arctic91

Opening front boot (trunk)
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Just received our 126 after it shipped from Italy to the US and cannot open the front boot (truck). Tried the release (lower left on drivers side (LHD, Italian version). Appears the cable to unlatch the hood has been stretched or the latch mechanism has seized for some reason. Any suggestions on how to get it open. Thanks!

Scott

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Opening front boot (trunk)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:43:27 PM »
You could try pulling on the cable with some pliers if it is still in place rather than the hand grip. You may have to try a few times but it usually works.

The other alternative is to push the front headlight into the car so that it falls inside the front bonnet area. You may break some of the white clips that hold it in place as you do this but they are relatively cheap to replace. Once the light is out of the way you need someone with a long and thin arm to reach inside and push the bonnet release mechanism. It sounds tricky and it is but I’ve managed to do it a few times on mine and it works. It helps to know where the bonnet release mechanism is so have a look online or in a manual first if you can.

Good luck!

:thumbup
Every cloud has one...

Xylaquin

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »
My cable got recked by my local garage last time they had the car.
  • Get a metal coat hanger that you can sacrifice for the cause. Bend it so that it resembles a walking stick, the hook at the top and the rest of the wire being long and straight
  • Face the front of your 126, pull out the headlamp that is on your right. Place the headlamp on the floor, but take the bulb out and carefully put it into the car.
  • Go turn the ignition on, then turn the lights on. By doing this, you're using the disconnect headlamp's bulb to let you see inside the dark front-boot.
  • Look inside, see the catch/mechanism? You should see a spring at the bottom that connects to a tab that points down. You need to pull that tab to the right. Use the "walking stick" you made.

Arctic91

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 01:07:17 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen... I'm going to give the cable another go, then I'll try to get in through the headlight opening as you've recommended.

Scott

Arctic91

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
Update:  Finally had some time to work this out. I was able to remove the front left headlight and bring it forward out of the car, then use the flashlight on my phone to inspect the cable and latch mechanism. Everything was connested and looked correct when viewing through the headlight hole. I was then able to reach back and release the latch.  Once open, I cleaned and lubed the mechanism and now everything works perfectly well and just as designed. I appreciate the help and suggestions!

Scott

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:46:21 PM by Arctic91 »

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
Well done, every day is an adventure with these little cars but they are always worth it!
Every cloud has one...

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
Im late and glad you got this sorted out. This happened to me once and i removed the instrument cluster and used my hand to open the trunk thru the dash. Just an idea for anyone strugling in the future...
PLEASE FOLLOW MY PROGRESS ON IG: https://www.instagram.com/fiatbis/