Poll

which would be better

rolled arches
2 (66.7%)
wide rally arches
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: rolling some wheel arches  (Read 2412 times)

baked one

rolling some wheel arches
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
hi i was lookin at some v dub forums earlier and i found some people who have rolled there wheel arches :D i was wondering if anybody on here has done it to 126 or have seen this done else where and if they have any pics  ;Dalso i was wandering if anybody would be able to hook me up with a set of front brake lines for a 126 bis 1991 because mine are fooked  :(

bis13

Re: rolling some wheel arches
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
if you wish to roll your arches then its around £50 a corner to do so and you must heat your paint up before hand to ensure you get no cracks in the paintwork. or you can make a arch rolling tool or you can buy one but the are very expensive. it all depends on what you want to do with your car and remember show cars wind down their suspensions then raise them to drive.

Pete126

• Administrator
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Andi

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:46:21 AM »
The older ones of you remind the classic big glass coke bottle. Once upon a time... Ok, we put a coke bottle between wheel and arch, and pushed the car for- and backwards, so that the bottle was twisted back and forth. And after a while, trara: Nice rolled arches! My Kadett City - you'd call it Vauxhall Chevette - took some pretty 8x13et0 !

fightingtorque

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »
That's a great idea.  I have some nylon round bar, should work even better.

Maddog

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
remember to heat the lip, and if your lips are at all crusty then you risk large chunks brealing off ;D,

best to clean all the paint and sealer off the inside first, right down to clean metal, it will crack and be a water trap if you dont.  when your done make sure you get plenty of primer and sealer squirted into the back, a good zinc primer then tigerseal squirted in with a caulking gun is my choice.

my fav tool is an old wooden baseball bat and plenty of heat, but not enough to ripple the paper thin fiat panels

bis13

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »
vw golf magazine ran an article on how to make an arch rolling machine years back using a jack as the base and works very well i rolled my own arches on my mk1 cab and can tell you you dont need to strip your paint off in the inner arch just make sure that you gently heat the arch with a heat gun before you work on the arch this will make the paint flexable again and prevent cracking i discourage the use of "home tools" such as bats and bottles as you will not get a totally even arch especially if you wish to push the outer lip out further. if there are members who think it would be a worthwhile tool to have then maybe we could do a club purchase and all chip in for one and take turns to do the job? 

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:59:12 PM »
I did mine by cutting-off the lip, welding-in a strip of 1" steel and then fill and finnish.

My advice: Listen to Mick, sounds like 20 times less work!

Here is one:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9108&frostProductName=Wheel%20Arch%20Roller%20&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 07:14:14 AM »
There is a guy selling a roller on the Fiat Forum for £140 but looking at these things they do not look like rocket science and seem to involve a jack device mounted on the hub with an adjustable angle Skate board roller at the other end. :)

bis13

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
i will see if i can find the vw golf mag plans as they were pretty good as they were pretty well set out with a good description of how to make them. 

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
 :) I am also guessing that the one on eBay & the one shown on the fiat forum are universal & therefore need to be more sophisticated in terms of adjustment. A "built for the 126" unit could probably be quite quite a simple affair.  ;)

bis13

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
they can be adjusted to make lips push out at specific angles they look crude but are a great bit.

baked one

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
thanks for the feed back its gr8 also i found the instructions bis 13 was talking about on how to make the arch roller yourself  ;D
 http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18639

bis13

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 06:13:13 PM »
well done thats saves me an hour or two in my furnace of a loft!!