Author Topic: Soon to be owner...  (Read 1736 times)

Cameron

Soon to be owner...
« on: December 24, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »
Afternoon and Merry Christmas to all!

Planning on becoming a 126 owner next year, with a purchase to be made in Southern Poland where my partner's family live and to do a road trip back via Prague and Berlin.

Prices seem to be on the rise in Poland, but there are still lots of good cars to go for from what i can see, the Google translation always causes a chuckle with such gems as 'I offer for sale my toddler'. I am familiar with what is needed to register and tax the car once in the UK, but was hoping that there may be some owners on the site that have done the trip and can offer pearls of wisdom.

There are 5 or 6 guys driving across in a van so space to bring back parts that may be better to buy in Poland - again suggestions welcome. Two of the guys going are engineers (thankfully!) so we are hoping to drive the distance rather than use the towing dolly!

If anyone has any suggestions for parts to stock up on, likely failures etc it would be appreciated and I hope to update soon with pictures of my purchase being prepared in Poland.

I'm hunting for a yellow one really, as my four year old nephew has a yellow toy 126 and wants me to get one to match. However, it seems to be that most are red, white or a shade of turquoise. I guess condition is more important than colour but I have a few months to look.

Anyway, look forward to following all on here and joining the owners club rather than being in the future owners club!

Regards
Cameron   

126Simon

• Subscribers
Re: Soon to be owner...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
Welcome! Good luck with the drive ! I bought mine from Kent and didn't make it 75 miles home lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cameron

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
Thanks! Hoping to get a bit further than 75 miles but we have a towing dolly as a second option!!!

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »
Go for a pre 90s car if you can, Personally I would avoid the EL models. Older cars were better steel, Rot less, still rot but you know what I mean.
look carefully, very very carefully, the Poles have been bodging repairs for many many years, and are great at hiding rust.

Did I mention rust :-) Really check out bodywork first. then do it again.

Note a pre 90s Won't be yellow sorry

Re parts. spare engine and gearbox. if it can go wrong it will. remember most cars for sale have not been loved recently :0

Cameron

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »
Hi Dajwid

Thanks for reply, and appreciate the tip about a pre-90's car.

Why would you avoid the EL model out of interest? I'm trying to decide between buying for around 9000 zloty what should be a very good car or going cheap and getting it renovated in Poland before driving it back. Logic tells me to get the best i can afford and hope it has been cared for well!

I've always had old Beetles since I learnt to drive in one so ongoing maintenance has always been part of life and I'd rather spend money on an old car than lose money driving a new one!

Cameron