Author Topic: Insurance cover  (Read 10331 times)

Amateb

Insurance cover
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »
Hello!! I will be collecting my 126 this Saturday, at last!!! I bought classic car insurance  from Heritage (an insurer advertised in the back pages of Classic Cars magazine) and paid £147 premium. The policy is fully comprehensive, windscreen cover, fire and theft, legal expenses and legal expenses cover. I have been told by the insurer (Heritage) that, No Claims Bonus (NCB) does not apply to the policy, in fact, the insurer says that all classic car insurance do not have NCB inbuilt in the policy. Is this correct?

Going on a slight tangent, has anyone managed to get a cheaper classic car quote? Has anyone heard of Heritage?

Dom

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915992
Re: Insurance cover
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »
Heritage are a pretty popular insurer in the classic car scene. It is also true that you will not get a no claims bonus, this is due to the fact that the no claims discount is supposed to only be accrued on a daily used car. It is one of the common traits of a classic car policy, generally along with limited mileage, garaged etc. Technically you are not supposed to have a classic policy on your daily runner, even if it is a classic car - but on the plus they have no real way of proving this.

I am with RH Classic on my 500 and I pay £98 per year, with breakdown cover, a 4000 limited mileage and garaged. I opted to take off the legal assistance to get it under the £100 mark!

Dom

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
hi guys,

i think thats a good premium, all depends on your age and location really.

i took out my classic car policy with Footman James Insurance, £123 in total for the year which i in monthly installments.

im 23 and had a claim last year, so i think thats a good premium and good cover. Was a bit shocked when she told me over the phone and you get break down cover too!

I personally wouldnt advise not having legal expenses as if you have a claim you will have to sort it all yourself or pay them anyway to deal with it.

Amateb where abouts in London are you?

Regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

Amateb

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:12:45 PM »
I live in Highgate, north London. The sad news is that we went to collect the car today and it was in a bad state. Please see my "Introduce myself" section. I am still reeling from our experience this evening.

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
I'm with Adrian Flux for £208, a bit more, but it comes with the increasingly rare 'drive another inclusion' meaning I am covered on any car within the UK as long as it is insured and the owner gives his/her consent, legal cover comes with, and as Chris said, it's a very good idea, If you get run into by someone with legal cover and you don't have it, their legal team will find a way out of paying!
Rust does not discriminate

jemima126

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Helloo,
I use Lancaster, sure it was less than £100  [-/

Dan_535

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:25:08 PM »
Mine was about £100 with H.I.C (08451 291 291) on a classic policy, but i had to limit the mileage quite a bit to keep the costs down to that level to be fair.

Can recommend H.I.C though as they'l do a free valuation if you send them some pics/details of the car...

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »
 :) Got my classic car renewal notice this week from Footman James and .................

it's gone down by £5   :wave:

to £100-22p , fully comp , unlimited mileage , Europe cover & breakdown all included  [-/

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
thats cheap!

good level of cover too.

not always just about lowest premium!

Regards

Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:20:40 PM by Chris Lakin »
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
My Heritage policy is fully comp etc. but is subject a a 1,500 mileage restriction excl breakdown assistance coverage. I thought that with a mileage cap of 1.5K per year, I will not be needing breakdown assistance but in retrospect, it is always good to have. I could have ask for a different band to 3,000 miles per year but it cost more. I managed to upgrade my policy to "agreed value" rather than market value with no extra cost. I will try Footman James on renewal. They appear to have better classic car coverage on offer at a lower premium and unlimited mileage (not that I intend to do a lot of mileage but it is better if it is unlimited for peace of mind). Does Footman James require that the vehicle is garaged?

Cheers, Amateb8

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:07 PM »
 :) Car does not need to be garaged. I got an agreed value of £5,000 , just had to send in a couple of photos plus my son & daughter are on the policy as named drivers  [-/

maluch_PKD

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
Hey everyone

I have a polish 126, is it possible to insure this under classic insurance as its an import?

a few companies today and they wouldnt insure me ( admiral etc ) I have a 126ELX, 1999, left hand drive.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
Yes you can but the car will have to registered in England with English plates and MOT.

Jan wrote about this a few days ago.

http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4392.msg30440#msg30440
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Jan-in-UK

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 09:17:32 PM »
And this if you are going to regiter it:

1. Insure it on a "chassis naumber insurance" - Footman James do that for you.
2. Get it MOT'd (without mot you will not register it)
3. Fill the form from DVLA.
4. Get two proofs of addres of the person it will be registered to.
5. Got to the local office with all these, pay fee (about £50) plus road tax for 6 months if applicable.
6. Wait about 48h to recieve plates certificate in post.
7 Wait about 10 days for a V5.

8. Any problems - let me know 

Such a thing as Fiat 126p will never happen again to this planet... Love it.
www.fsoclub.co.uk

cudhso

• The BIS: An exercise in discovery learning.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
HI,

Just got what I consider to be a good deal on my 1988 BIS with Footman James.  £119 fully comp with european recovery on 3000 miles restricted mileage.  The car has to be garaged, which is not an issue.

Others seem to have achieved cheaper deals with the same insurer although I was pretty happy with the deal I got. 

Thanks for the tip!

Richie
It boils but it doesn't whistle......