Author Topic: speaker install  (Read 1572 times)

michaelodonnell500

speaker install
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »
Now that my fiat (500, sorry!!)seems to be running with as much reliability as I can expect, I'm in the process of fitting a stereo and speakers.
I've inherited a set of kenwood 5" crossover and 4" with seperate tweeters.
Space is limited so I've had some fun trying to make them fit.
The 5's have been fitted to a board to fit on the parcel shelf under the rear window. I found some strectchy Vinyl and Evo stick, quite cheep, but has given a very proffesional finish.

I couldn't really fit the 4's in the front, although I realise this may be possible with the 126. I took a fibre glass imprint of the rear wheel arch cover and am in the process of blending it out to meet the speaker which is too deep to fit flush. I got a very good finish from the wheel arch cover as the plastic is very smooth and easy to get a print from.
This just leaves me the tweeters to fit at the front and the sound dampening (bonnet insulation salvaged from a Saab at a breakers yard. Low cost alternative)

I did make a start at fitting the speakers at the front. I took a fibre glass mould from a piece of coving (plaster, the foam stuff tends to melt) I found this gave a nice curve which sits nicely under the knee strip.

I'll take some photos soon and post them up. If your reading Chris, is there any chance of getting an install section on the forum with some photos? Might give people a chance to see what they can squeeze in too drown the engine out!

Michael
Rust does not discriminate