Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 4770 times)

MikeL

Wheels
« on: October 28, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
I'm in the process of restoring a 1976 car. I had the tyres taken off the rims this morning in readiness for getting the rims powder coated and I have discovered that spread across 5 wheels I have four different sizes!

All five are steel, painted silver with FIAT pressed into the centre boss.

To start with the pair that match, they are 125 mm wide and 333 mm diameter.

I have one that is 108 mm wide, 333 mm diameter with the centre boss proud of the rim edge.

I have one that is 120 mm wide by 333 mm diameter, the outer face of the rim has a curved edge and the bolt holes have a raised surround.

I have one that is 120 mm wide by 333 diameter.

Can anyone tell me what size should be on the car and does anyone have any wheels they would sell or swap so that I can end up with two pairs or indeed better still four the same?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:12:04 PM by MikeL »

michaelodonnell500

Re: Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm in the process of restoring a 1976 car. I had the tyres taken off the rims this morning in readiness for getting the rims powder coated and I have discovered that spread across 5 wheels I have four different sizes!

All five are steel, painted silver with FIAT pressed into the centre boss.

To start with the pair that match, they are 125 mm wide and 333 mm diameter.

I have one that is 108 mm wide, 333 mm diameter with the centre boss proud of the rim edge.

I have one that is 120 mm wide by 333 mm diameter, the outer face of the rim has a curved edge and the bolt holes have a raised surround.

I have one that is 120 mm wide by 333 diameter.

Can anyone tell me what size should be on the car and does anyone have any wheels they would sell or swap so that I can end up with two pairs or indeed better still four the same?

Cheers.
Hi Mike,
The wheel width needs to be measured from the inside faces and it's best referred to in old money. Wheel sizes are driven by the tyre size which tends to confuse things.

If you measured the outside rim then the 108mm is 3.5"
125mm is 4"
I'm not sure about the 120mm!
The wheel diameter will be 12" if its an early aircooled.

I think you might have one 3.5" rim from a 500r
2x 4" from the 126. The bolt and rim details are curious and I guess the wheel was changed at some point during production.

I may be wrong so please jump in if anyone  else knows.

I have one 4" rim I can sell you if it helps.

The 3.5" rim will be good as a spare as it will fit in the front panel better.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:49:41 PM by michaelodonnell500 »
Rust does not discriminate

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
That raised lip on the bolt hole is interesting. Most of my cars don't have that and require a flat bolt. That wheel needs a bevelled bolt like the one used on later models.  I've got it on my green 1976 car.
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
That raised lip on the bolt hole is interesting. Most of my cars don't have that and require a flat bolt. That wheel needs a bevelled bolt like the one used on later models.  I've got it on my green 1976 car.
The wheel in the pictures came from my 76 which I sold a while back. It was fitted with countersunk(bevel) bolts, not the flat one's fitted to the 500.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:03:50 PM »
Sounds like that raised lip is unique to the 1976 models, my earlier cars, the 1973 ones don't have it and require a flat bolt. I wonder why Fiat changed it...
Every cloud has one...

MikeL

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
Working on the dimensions your picture I have four wheels with 100 mm rim width and one with 90 mm rim width. It is impossible for me to take an accurate measure of the rim diameter however by taking the flange height x 2 away from the outer diameter all five are approx. 300 - 303 mm. Sorry I don't have a ruler that does inches but that does come to 12" ish.

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 04:36:07 PM »
Working on the dimensions your picture I have four wheels with 100 mm rim width and one with 90 mm rim width. It is impossible for me to take an accurate measure of the rim diameter however by taking the flange height x 2 away from the outer diameter all five are approx. 300 - 303 mm. Sorry I don't have a ruler that does inches but that does come to 12" ish.
They are definitely all 12".That is tricky to measure i know what you mean!

So you have a set of 4" wheels but the wheels are different and should take different bolts.

Do you know if your wheel bolts are flat or countersunk?
The flat one's should have a washer, the countersunk one's are tapered like modern wheel bolts.

Send us a photo if you can.

If you're hubs are all correct then the wheel bolts will all match then you should pick the wheels that match the bolts for your car.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
Had to go and check the two spare rims I have up in the shed. They are both 3.5" wide and would take the plain bolts like the Fiat 500 and the early 126 going by what BV says. Interesting question here is what width rims were on the very early 126's ?
Should also add that the diagram that Michael posted is of a tubeless tyre rim that has a raised ring to secure and help seal the bead on a tubeless tyre. You will not find this on your rims as they are designed to take tubed tyres which makes the exact rim diameter irrelevant  :)

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »

You will not find this on your rims as they are designed to take tubed tyres which makes the exact rim diameter irrelevant  :)

I'm too modern Rusty.  Imperial just confuses me which explains why I never got on with star wars.

MikeL,  show us what wheel bolts you have and we'll figure it out.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
I'm too modern Rusty.  Imperial just confuses me which explains why I never got on with star wars.

MikeL,  show us what wheel bolts you have and we'll figure it out.

It is quite amazing that rim width and diameters are still measured in inches. Cross ply tyres were also measured in inches as in 5.20 x 14, 6.40 x 15 etc. When radial tyres came about the the tyre cross section was then measured in metric as in 125 , 135 etc but the rim size still in inches  :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
I think it was tried once. I seem to remember my dad complaining about the price of tyres for his Austin Montego because they were metric. I think some jags of the 80's had them fitted too. 
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

MikeL

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
I will take a look at the bolts, I can see exactly what you mean, for the wheel with the raised lip around the bolt holes the bolts will need to taper to suit. It would not surprise me at all if I do not have the correct bolts.

As I have a clock ticking on this restoration I will get all five restored and put the four of equal size on the car, I might later be able to pick up some replacements and in the meantime it would take someone very eagle eyed or someone who has read this thread to notice the difference!

Any idea where the one the narrow wheel that I have would have originated from?

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »

It is strange why the measurements of wheels are still in inches.  The only exception I can think of is the old British Leyland Metro which had a R315 size wheel.

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
The bolts are easy enough to buy if you need some, Mike, a little bit pricey for what they are but shiny and new!
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »

Any idea where the one the narrow wheel that I have would have originated from?

A fiat 500r would be my guess. The 500 wheels I have are 3.5" wide.