Author Topic: Restore steering wheel bagde  (Read 1563 times)

nalonso

Restore steering wheel bagde
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »
Hi fellows!

I want to restore my steering wheel. As you can see in the attachment, the badge has faded, and the rust is doing its job on the frame. I feel that if I sand the frame I can repaint it black just fine, but I don't know what to do with the badge. Buying a new one is not a choice by now, since I'm in Cuba... The same goes for the switches. I'd like to paint the small icon in white... I suppose that I can screen the background somehow, maybe with grease, and clean the surface with a napkin, then apply paint with a small nail brush, wait for it to dry and clean the rest... Any ideas on how to do this?

I know that the switches are turned around and that the big white plate should not be there... but this is a restoration project, so... One step at the time!!!!

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Nestor

michaelodonnell500

Re: Restore steering wheel bagde
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:07:37 PM »
I would start with the badge ring to find the right product to restore the black gloss.
There are a number of back to black type products to restore black. I've had good success on glossy plastic with boot polish and wax.

When you come to painting the logo, buy some trade wipes or similar. If something goes wrong you can instantly wipe the mistake away and start again!
you could try a basic version of screen printing.
1. Find a plastic primer that stick to the plastic. Test on the back of the part.
2. degrease the plastic well in the logo area.
3. Cut a piece of smooth (see below) flat plastic that sits on the logo and the stripes and fits in between the two half circles.
4. spray some primer on the plastic and quickly place it onto the logo. The primer will only transfer where it touches the plastic.
5. Once primed, repeat with paint.

It takes longer to set up, but you don't have to mask or aim a brush! if my description is a bit poor let me know and I'll make a sketch.

the plastic needs to have a high surface tension - hdpe PP are good choices, the paint won't stick to these plastics very well which makes it easier to transfer
Rust does not discriminate

nalonso

Re: Restore steering wheel bagde
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »
I'll give it a try!!!

Thanks! :)