Author Topic: Planning Stages Of IFS for 126s  (Read 2294 times)

gsxr126

Planning Stages Of IFS for 126s
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
Hi all,

I'm in the planning stages of an IFS for the 126. The one's on ebay cost around $1800 converted to aussie$. I'm gonna start the drawings soon and hope to add some degree of adjustability to both top and bottom control arms. The kits for sale that i've seen only have lower control arms, i'll do both with rod ends and i plan to use motorcycle coilovers in place of the original shocks ( i've tried the coilover in the wheel tub and it bolts up perfectly) just need to design a mount for the upper control arm. The x member will be box tube with tabs (for bolting it up) and brackets (for attaching lower control arms). Chrome moly tube for the arms and stub axle left standard.

What do you guys think - i would welcome your thoughts.

Whole reason for this is that the car's totally undriveable under power and being such a short wheelbase will easily swap ends. The rear end suspension will aslo need looking at but thats another adventure.
The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

RSPSTEVE

Re: Planning Stages Of IFS for 126s
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:43 AM »
Sounds great  will watch with much interest.
13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »
Good luck with the new project [-/ You should be able to use the top suspension arm as a template.

Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

gsxr126

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:42:14 AM »
Yeah, I've seen this setup on the net before. Couple of things i dont like about it - 1. the lower control arm bolts onto the x member thru the side, I'm going to use rod ends and bolt it up thru the front & back of the x member to allow some adjustability to the arm, 2. i'll try to make the lower control arms longer to improve handling (wider arc etc...)
 I've also had coilovers priced and can get them for $550.00 for the appropriate length, but I'll probably stick to the bike coilovers as they fit well.

Yes Pete i will be using the top arms as a template, have taken all the measurements, just have to make it in chrome moly now. This will hopefully happen on the weekend. Will post pics if it happens.
The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
I quite like the design, where the arm bolts on to the end of the subframe because you can pack the suspension arm out with shims/washers to atchieve the correct geometry.
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

gsxr126

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »
This setup is adjustable, but its a pull apart and adjust job. My intetntion is to have adjustability with the suspension intact. The pic below is what i will be doing but with a few tricks thrown in.

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »
Good plan,
I had thought of doing something like this as ths cost of the parts is far cheaper than any of the kits I've see, but like most of these plans, it will be years before I get round to doing it!
Would be good to add some polyuerethane bushes and eliminate some of that slop!
Rust does not discriminate

gsxr126

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »
Bit of an update:

I found that installing a x member gives you an instant lowering job of about 5-10 cms depending on how sagged the original leaf spring was. This has completely stuffed up the geometry and the camber. Using the original top control arms i have about 25degrees negative camber (no joke).

I think there is an easy fix for this which involves spacing out the top control arm, if i use the original, or fabricating longer top arms to fix the camber.

Will let youse know what happens.......

gsxr126

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:55:19 AM »
Anyone planning on doing this mod should have a look at this website

http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=286