Author Topic: Wheel, tyre size and pressures?  (Read 3911 times)

Bruce

Wheel, tyre size and pressures?
« on: March 24, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »
I have just purchased a set of Cinquecento Sporting alloys to fit my Bis the wheels come with the bolts, but i may not be getting the tyres to save on carriage costs (they are fited with 165/55 13"s). Although these wheels are a little wider than the original wheels (5 or 55 compared to 4) i understand from reading the forums they will go straight on without fouling the suspension or body work (the only set of aftermarket alloys i could find locally fouled the suspension). what size tyres should i be looking at; 155/65 or 165/55 the diameter of the former is slightly bigger than standard and the latter slightly smaller, when combined with the width of the tyres which is any will give the least problems. also what would be the tyre pressures, would these be the same as the standard tyres?

cheers

126dave

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:11:25 AM »
hi bruce,i have 165/55s on my 13''alloys,they JUST touch at the bottom of the front wing in SOME cases....and i have lowered suspension,....i live with that,be aware though that at the cheaper end of the market (mine :wink: ) the profile although the same size from tyre to tyre can indeed be different.........i tried several 55 profiles till i found a small one!.

i hope someone on here got the cosmic ex 850 sport alloys from ebay? i was gona bid for them for my workbeater bis but missed them!
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:05:28 PM »
hi dave, i saw those cosmics in ebay they went for over a ton in the end, was tempted but they need special bolts and you can't get them anymore. i used to have Cosmic superslots (coppies of the original wolfrace slot mags) on my reliant robin,

but in those days you could still get the bolts in most motor factors and as the reliant shares wheels and hubs from a Mini there were quite a common size. You can hold the wheels on with the bolts from nomal alloys but they are dangerous.

in the end i thought the CC Sporting alloys would look like standard wheels when fitted to my Bis. I am not getting the 165/55 tyres with the wheels as it costs nearly as much as a set of tyre to get them sent down, so i will be getting new tyres and face the choice between 155/65s and 165/55s, the 155s seem a lot more common and cheaper and would appear to fit without any problems so i'll most probably go for these. i am guessing the tyre presure would be the same as standard?

gregs656

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »
that robin is awesome!  :cool:
The Hunt Continues. . .

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 05:25:46 PM »
Quote from: "gregs656"
that robin is awesome!  :cool:

Cheers, got fid of it years ago when i passed my car test, got a briliant price for it off a guy who was looking for a bug without even advertising it. It was pretty quick i used to drive it all over the place i live in devon and went up to southend kettering and peterborough in it on various trips. It was originally an orange saloon (that was what they called the 2 door version with the opening rear window) but after it ws backed into a wall i decided to change it a bit; I got hold of the back half of an estate, cut the damaged back off the saloon and grafted the back of the estate on, the join was over the rear wheels so it was easy to smooth the join over to hide the roof join i put a massive glass sunroof in and for a while drove it around with the front half orange and the back half red and the join covered in primer. the exhasust was straght through and i put a K&N on the intake, it was quite loud in and out of the car with the engine being half inside, once when i was at the back of que of traffic on the A127 a 3 litre capri came up behind me flashing his lights because he seemed to think i was holding the traffic, i pulled over and let him pass then pulled back onto the outer lane behind him, he was no doubt flashing the other cars in front of him as one by one they peeled off and he managed to speed up to over 90 which was the speed he wanted to go, being a bit younger and not so well behaved on the roads as i am now i turned my spots on and stuck to his bumper for and followed at the same speed, wonder how he liked having someone flashing lights behind him :)

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 06:39:04 PM »
Bruce

I run cosmics on my 500 and had no problem getting the correct bolts, in fact I had a choice of lengths if I wanted to run with spacers. Got them from Speed Shack in West Drayton, Middlesex
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 07:26:07 PM »
right, mind you they went for more than i wanted to spend and the wheels i have bought have all the bolts and centres etc.  just priced the tyres up at my local kwick fit while i down there getting the punture fixed on my Golf, the 155s are a bit over the ton, but the 165 are 180 so it looks like i'll be putting 155s on mine as i can almost certainly get them for less then kwick fit offer.

bis13

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:18:13 PM »
talking about rims i missed the end of some chromadoras on ebay today meant to bid but had to work late they went for a measly £40 quid i am gutted. any how will x19 bertone alloys fit on to a bis? i dont know the width . and you can fit narrower tyres on to a wider rim thus reducing the profile helping with the arch problem if lowered a little too close . just dont get too close to kerbs as you will loose most of your lovely alloy . i done it on a brand new set of rims once the first day i had them , then dropped one on its face in my garage a week later , doh! my missus wasnt happy as they cost me a grand....

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 10:38:33 PM »
yea they look pretty neat on the 126;

i was thinking of going for them, even put an early bid in but in the end got some CC wheels. when in that situation you want to grab the first set you can in case you lose the later ones.