Author Topic: 126 bis - stereo wiring  (Read 1463 times)

d0mokun

• Subscribers
126 bis - stereo wiring
« on: December 06, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »
Here I come again with another technical question! I feel I'm really getting my mileage out of this excellent board, hopefully I can reciprocate soon..

Anyhow.

Today I went out to pull a hideous Pioneer head unit which the previous owner had put in the car. The plan was to wire in a 'new' head unit which looks old but does bluetooth streaming etc.

My question to you all is thus; why is it so difficult? I had three wires behind the dash for the stereo wiring:
- Black, which I believe to be ground/ neutral.
- Green/ Brown (or green/red), which I am not sure about though seems to register a voltage on the multimeter. Does not appear to be switched because it shows a voltage whether the ignition is on or off.
- Yellow/ Yellow and Red - this one comes from two wires originally but crimped into one connector. I understand this is the constant live feed for 'memory'. However, doesn't seem to show a voltage, which suggests it's the switched live..

Having wired up these to the respective pins on the stereo via an adaptor, nothing happens. I've tried swapping around the switched and constant lives and nothing changes.

Has anyone got any tips or photos as to how they've done it?

Thanks
Dan.
1988 Fiat 126 bis - 1989 Austin Mini - 1978 Trabant P601

michaelodonnell500

Re: 126 bis - stereo wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
Hi Dan,
I didn't have any stereo wiring in my car, but there is not much to it to be fair. The principals are the same.
Check the earth is good and that you are definitely receiving 12v+
Check the yellow is switched. If there is no voltage then you can use the permanent positive instead.

Do this before coupling up the stereo and then you can confirm one issue at a time.

Thanks,

Michael
Rust does not discriminate

d0mokun

• Subscribers
Re: 126 bis - stereo wiring
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »
That is great Michael, thanks!

I'm starting to think that the wiring may be a red herring and indeed I'm going to have to do it from scratch. Something isn't right.

Best
Dan.
1988 Fiat 126 bis - 1989 Austin Mini - 1978 Trabant P601