Author Topic: Engine swaps  (Read 3643 times)

Urbanmyth

Engine swaps
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
Hi all does anyone actually ever complete/ make road legal when it comes to engine swaps? It just seems that so many of these cars get butchered by a grinder then end up as a half finished project just wondered if any were ever made legal? Cheers

dajwid

• Subscribers
Re: Engine swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
I’ve been into the 126 many years. I’ve seen so many started and never finished, tons unfinished on EBay.
If it’s finished and running it’s never totally legal on UK plates registered for what it is.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
As regular readers may know by now one of my bug bares is people attempting engine swaps on 126s and not seeing them though to the end. I have nothing against engine swaps I just wish people would finish their project and show the world how it’s done. Instead all we get is people telling us with full optimism about what they’re gonna do and then nothing..... the ones that do manage some sort of conversion are not worth getting excited about and are usually a poorly executed attempt which is impractical, unsafe and only worth a few laughs at a track day before ending up in a lock up or on eBay

Some good uns do slip though the net though, I did see a lovely BIS once with a 1.1 FIRE engine in which was well made
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

1973/126

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »
 I agree with Gadge. The only way for me would be a Fiat FIRE engine or the 903cc push rod engine. In keeping with the car, not too much power to destroy the gearbox and relatively easy to fit.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
This is the best we've seen but it's still registered as a standard 652cc 126

LINK [Carl's 126 build thread]
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:45:51 PM »
Yes totally agree. Personally the best conversion is with a FIRE engine. Wish it was a little higher though  :P
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Urbanmyth

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:35:53 PM »
Hi all and thanks s yes I must admit it is quite tedious reaading what people stay they are going to do and not follow up, so do people actually make the fire engine 126s legal? And do they need a Iva/sva test or am I mistaken cheers in advance,

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »
I think that people have had more success going the other way and putting a 126 engine into a motorbike (trike)! 😉
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
There are some descent examples out there, but they're a bit difficult to find and usually not on this forum.

I think people try an engine swap and come onto the forum to ask for advice usually struggle because they've bitten of more than they can chew.

Others that carry out an engine swap and don't come onto the forum to ask for help already have a plan and some previous experience with major modifications. More chance of success, but we don't see most of them.
Rust does not discriminate

Fat650

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 02:07:38 AM »
It's such a shame the 126 doesn't lend itself to being an easy car to modify. The gearbox is the Achilles heel. It's enough for the fire swap but beyond that it won't last if you wish to go that bit further. Unfortunately that bit further is where most people want to go. Going all out on the standard motor is super expensive for not a lot of gain in my opinion and to do a full swap with anything else is beyond expensive. It's a shame really. The 126 is probably the world's hardest car to modify because there is no middle ground. It's either a bit or all the way. For the time I have spent on my car I have never heard of any successful street conversions in the UK. I'm glad I dont live there 😋
I have seen some really nice track cars though with all the goodies. Let's be honest though, if you spend that much you want to drive it on the street!

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »
It is possible to use a rear engined Skoda gearbox with 5 speeds but the one with the so called dry half-shafts. There are 2-3 options for crown and pinion with original parts. If I remember well, there are boxes with different ratios. I guess a beetle transmission would fit as well.

10 or more years ago there was a Czech 126 with Skoda gearbox, not sure if the engine was also Skoda 1.3.

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »
Holly cow!!!   :o

The things are on a different level these days.

https://m.olx.pl/oferta/flansza-fiat-126p-skoda-rapid-swap-silnik-fire-CID5-ID5Ac9p.html

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »
Check out HudsonHenry’s site

http://www.retro500.com/home.html
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo