Author Topic: heater,or lack of it in an aircooled  (Read 6963 times)

126dave

heater,or lack of it in an aircooled
« on: November 25, 2005, 06:17:31 PM »
hey ho guys,its a little chilly here in jersey at the mo,down to 10c,and its showing up the heater,how do/did the poor people cope in polands winters????.......i dont remember my 500's heaters being so poor,and i cant think why the 650 should be different?  :???: the only heat thats availible seems to be seeping out of the handbrake area,any thoughts?
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

toz

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 07:39:24 PM »
hi dave,i had the same problem with mine!!if you look down at the bottom of your gear stick there should be a rubber gator that is sealed by a rubber and a metal plate.my original one had perished and found one on ebay,it cost £25 but keeps more of the heat on the screen, and more air distribution all round.so was well worth it for those cold winter months.hope this helps

fiatfsm

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 10:19:54 AM »
In the winter the Poles can be found driving their 126s very heavily clothed, thats how they cope in the cold!
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

126dave

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:34:42 PM »
thanks guys,so no more shorts an t shirts then FiatFSM :wink: Toz,its not the distribution thats the prob,its just no heat at all! handbrake gets warm,thats it!,perhaps there something nesting in the tunnel?.
No joke though,going to have to investigate some more!

kurt green

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 04:59:11 PM »
Hi.

If you take a look on ebay i noticed that you can bid on a heater that also has a fan just to make you really toasty and all you do is plug it into the cig lighter.  Its in the fiat 126 section.

Kurt.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:09:27 PM »
I bought one of those heaters a few years ago, and they are absolutley useless! There is more heat coming off your breath, complete waste of money, just incase anyone else is thinking of getting one.
 :smt120

Quote from: "kurt green"
Hi.

If you take a look on ebay i noticed that you can bid on a heater that also has a fan just to make you really toasty and all you do is plug it into the cig lighter.  Its in the fiat 126 section.

Kurt.

126dave

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:21:13 PM »
hey ho all,i've been doing some surgery on the 650,checking out the heater problem,i've cracked it,the thermostat has broken,and has gone to fail safe open position,did'nt notice before because engine off and cold whenever i've been having a look!  :oops: .
any how,i,ve checked ebay etc etc nothing doing,so,any of you kind chaps have a spare? or know were to get a new one??.
thanks

126dave

toasty
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:47:31 PM »
hi all,parts on order from axle gerstl as we speak.
i lock wired the vent flap in the up position,perfect,real heat in the car,just like i remember the 500's............

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 05:49:10 PM »
nice one dave!! how much did the thermostat cost?

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

kurt green

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:48:38 PM »
Anybody need any parts for their 126/BIS/FSM then you could try GBB in Bradford they seem to have everything in stock and postage is quick and cheap. Telephone number is 01274733727
Kurt.

paul harbinson.

Heat
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 08:02:46 AM »
The heater in my air-cooled is brill.You could grow tomato's in my car when it's warmed up.I pull the heater control lever up (beside the choke lever) early one's are different then,pull the right hand lever on dash out(the one with the circle on it)Put the blower on and put the lever on face vent's to down.(come to think of it I think it would be handier to fly a 747) :roll:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

126dave

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 08:44:09 AM »
hey paul,i followed your instructions,but the left handed man with the melon MUST sit in the back,otherwise it just doesnt work. :wink: .
 Chris,5.90 euros for the thermostat........as for postage Kurt,we get screwed wherever it comes from,UK suppliers seem to love (expensive)24 hour services,that translates to 5-7 days to jersey! and they try and charge VAT!.so germany is no big deal.
I like the gerstl site,easy to use and very efficient for standard parts,but they are pricey on tuning bits though.........got to go,taking the 650 for a spin,and need an hour for that pre flight :cool:
toasty dave

fiatfsm

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 11:43:30 AM »
Dave, if I were you I would unlock the vent flap, it really needs to be open. I know you have a duff thermostat but cooling is critical on aircooled engines and the heat passing around your head wont be escaping which is bad news!

126dave

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »
thanks for your concern,id thought of that and have left it half way for now,very short runs here as well,3-4 miles at most,at 15 -40 mph and outside temp around the 7c-10c mark,so i think it'll be ok...........

fiatfsm

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 12:22:51 PM »
That sounds OK Dave, would hate to see your 126 heat seize, bet your looking forward to getting the thermostat eh!?