Author Topic: Engine rebuild supplies  (Read 12689 times)

Xylaquin

Re: Engine rebuild supplies
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
Well with some starter fluid it's almost starting now. The best I can do is get it to chug-chug-chug slowly on full throttle for a few seconds before giving up. Wonder if it's firing on one piston or if it's too lean now.

EDIT: Playing with the mixture hasn't really changed it. Here's as best as I can do...
[youtube]https://youtu.be/75mLO-axGX4[/youtube]

This is with the throttle to the floor. It'll keep going like that until I less go of the throttle.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:23:51 PM by Xylaquin »

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
I wondered that if the engine is mechanically sound that you could get someone to give you a tow in gear over a decent distance to try and clear out any crap that is holding you up thus saving your battery and starter motor  :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »
I fear some damage may have been done. It looks and sounds like it’s only firing on one cylinder. So it’s either an ignition fault or you’ve lost compression in a cylinder. You need to check the timing - do you remember how I did it with the test light?
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Xylaquin

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 11:05:46 PM »
I wondered that if the engine is mechanically sound that you could get someone to give you a tow in gear over a decent distance to try and clear out any crap that is holding you up thus saving your battery and starter motor  :)

I kinda figure all the crap must have been burned/expelled by now.

I fear some damage may have been done. It looks and sounds like it’s only firing on one cylinder. So it’s either an ignition fault or you’ve lost compression in a cylinder. You need to check the timing - do you remember how I did it with the test light?

Yeah I now how to use a timing gun (trouble is I don't have one!) But why would it be the timing?
Could it be that I've not replaced the plugs correctly... how do you tell how tight to screw them?
Tomorrow I'll remove the HT lead from each cylinder one at a time and see if it's any different, that'll determine if it's only firing on one and which one at that.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 12:35:00 AM »
Hi Lachlan, I know it shouldn't make any difference because of the waste spark ignition, but try taking out the distributor and turn the engine one full turn in gear then drop the distributor back in and retime
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 07:15:03 AM »
Yeah I now how to use a timing gun (trouble is I don't have one!) But why would it be the timing?
Could it be that I've not replaced the plugs correctly... how do you tell how tight to screw them?
Tomorrow I'll remove the HT lead from each cylinder one at a time and see if it's any different, that'll determine if it's only firing on one and which one at that.

Well it sounds like a mis fire so maybe the points have closed up or the condensers knackered. If you eliminate the timing side of things then you've half solved the problem you see. Fitment of the plugs won't have an effect unless their loose. The correct way would be to turn them in finger tight then tighten them with a plug socket until you feel a resistance then give it quarter of a turn. They don't need to be mega tight but being mega tight won't affect the running.

Xylaquin

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
What's the other trick to timing a car without a timing gun? I could go buy one, but I'm just thinking I wouldn't be able to use it since the car only runs whilst I'm giving it full throttle over in the driver's seat. And even then, if I got a brick to do that job for me, would the engine be turning fast enough!

try taking out the distributor and turn the engine one full turn in gear then drop the distributor back in and retime

easily enough done... what's your theory in doing this?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
Yes you can static time it. You’ll need a test lamp - remember that long pointy thing I had with the wire that clamped to the body? It had a bulb in it. So you hand turn the engine so the crank pulley mark lines up with the first small point of the three pointers, loosen the distributor slightly, switch on the ignition and touch the arm of the points. The test light will turn off and on as you twist the distributor body. You need to get that bulb to turn on as the points start to open. It’s not as accurate as a timing lamp but it’s good enough to get you going

Xylaquin

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
Got my test lamp and corrected the timing. Still runs just as bad. It's not even slightly better nor worse, strangely.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 11:57:39 PM »
I had a similar problem when i rebuilt my engine it only fired on one cylinder spent over a week going over the settings Valve timing, Ignition Timing, Points, so in desperation i did as mentioned above and it started firing on both,  do a compression test on both cylinders should read around 140psi have you tried slackening off the distributor with the engine running or with someone turning the ignition/starter then physically move it round and see if it comes back
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Xylaquin

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
It’s getting there, I’ve retimed it, checked both plugs are sparking, cleaned both plugs and swapped them and now I can start the car with the choke up and no throttle. Any throttle and it kapoots, as seen here...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/F795Q37xUGg[/youtube]

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »
Might be running lean. Remember, I had to screw the mixture screw right in as far as it would go to get it to run. It may well have cleared its self out on the way up to Scotland. Try turning it out about 4 or 5 turns and see what happens

Xylaquin

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »
No difference.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
I just watched the last video you posted again and it looks like it's running lumpy. Now that you've ruled out the timing and the mixture hasn't changed anything it's now probably best you do a compression test on it. The more you rule out the closer to the problem you get.

Xylaquin

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »
A colleague at work lent me his endoscope, a little camera used to look through the spark holes into the cylinder. It was a cheap thing from eBay so the video feed was unclear but I did see that some sort of liquid was sitting in the cylinder closest to rear of the car. Not a lot, but still enough to give me confidence that my piston rings are ok.

I then bought a compression tester and eureka! Only one cylinder has compression.
The cylinder closest to the gearbox reads 7.5bar (it's supposed to be 8.6!)
The cylinder closest to the rear (which had the liquid) gets absolutely no compression, none at all.

So I'm hoping it's just a blown gasket or bad valve timing.

At first I was a little surprised that some liquid was still in the cylinder, but it makes sense... it's not been burned up by any ignition and there's not enough of it to be simply pushed out.

In any case, it's time to take it all apart again  :cry:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:15:18 PM by Xylaquin »