Author Topic: Brake lights not working...  (Read 1354 times)

Njkip

• Subscribers
Brake lights not working...
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:05:13 PM »
Hi all....any ideas on why my brake lights aren't now working.....they were a bit hit and miss, I thought it was the brake light switch at the brake pedal.....just put a new switch on and nothing....I've got power to the wire that connects to the brake pedal switch but nothing to the lights themselves ......ive checked the fuses in the bonnet compartment, seem ok! Is there any earth points or plug connectors along the loom that might be at fault....like I say they were working intermittently and the car hasn't  been out of the garage ......

rmbruton

• before
Re: Brake lights not working...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:09:41 PM »
there is an earth point on the o/s rear light...mine connects to the mounting for the coil. If there is no power to the lights then i would say its something else. Are all the fuses seated correctly?

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:50 PM »
Hi thanks for your response.....I'll check that out as a start point.... I have tried a multimeter on the o/s tail light connector and Earthed that but nothing....I've been looking at the schematics on here.....there's a connector somewhere in the wiring loom from front to back....you don't happen to know where that plug connector might be do you? I was thinking of looking under back seat behind rear side panel see if it's there or at least track the wires and see if there's any power to that point......thanks again for your help I'm very grateful....

rmbruton

• before
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
Hi, The wiring goes through the rear bulkhead/firewall on the nearside and there are connectors there, same at the nearside front. There is a tool you can buy....its a probe. one clamp on the positive and one on the negative. It gives you positive and negative readings from the cables you touch. A worth while investment with older cars. sorry don't know the name of it. I find it more helpful than a multimeter at times.

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »
Hi, thanks for your input....funny enough I've just ordered a probe tester from eBay, I did have one but the probe dropped off 😂 hence my using the multi meter.....I'll check things out..I did notice on the wiring diagram that there seems to be a common earth on the n/s which supplies the other lights....anyway I'll do some investigation see where it goes, I can't see it being much as they were working....🤷‍♂️ Thanks again

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
Have you tried joining the two wires together on the brake switch? This overrides the switch and the brake lights should come on (with ignition on).

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 12:09:12 PM »
Hi Chris, yeah I did that thanks, I looped the two connectors together....there is power to the brake switch wire, just for some reason it's not now reaching the lights.....I'm just wondering if it's a bad connection somewhere.....thanks Chris, any further advice would be welcome....👍

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
Another tip is to get a long length of standard wiring cable, connect one side to the battery earth connection and the other side to the brake light bulb bayonet (remove lens cover and leave bulb in situ) this will rule out any earthing problems. Try the brakes (ignition on) and see if the light then works.

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Great idea Chris, thanks so much I'll try that first I think....should rule in or out an earth or live problem....👍