Author Topic: CRASH!  (Read 6607 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: CRASH!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »
Funny Mick should say that because I also left a message of encouragement yesterday and said that I think I have a handle also but it never appeared on the forum. Also have a late air cooled door which is straight but has some rust at the bottom.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »
The front panels are all the same its just the front wings that are different, the bis has a wider wheel arch.
Warren with the green bis fitted aircooled front wings but there all about the same price, if you need any parts from up here that need to be collected give me a shout.
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 07:06:23 PM »
Sorry about the crash.

I'd have thought air cooled wings would look better as they dont have the bits on the side for the plastic bumpers.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

ciaoflyer

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 07:17:15 AM »
Funny Mick should say that because I also left a message of encouragement yesterday and said that I think I have a handle also but it never appeared on the forum. Also have a late air cooled door which is straight but has some rust at the bottom.

Is the door same as Bis, we used to have a late aircooled and I know that they are similar.  I am interested if it is the same.

Thanks
Ciao4Now

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »
Hi just been out and had a look at the door and although there is some surface rust along the bottom inner bit it is a bit better than I thought , ie fingers did not go through any holes like some I have seen. It has had the advantage of being dry stored in my garage for the last 10 years. If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you some pics.  [-/

bis13

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »
no worries pm me what door bits you need and i will post them to you.

ciaoflyer

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
Just got a quote from my body shop man......wait for it....... £1000 + parts!
Called insurance to find out if they would help but no they wan't to write it off and give me market value minus excess so about £300!  >:( >:(

Very annoyed with myself as I love the little Bis!  Is it worth the repair or should I invest elsewhere?
Ciao4Now

Dom

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915992
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
I'd source all the parts at the best possible price, and then fork out for the repair. Though a 126 is not 'worth' that much, to their owners, they certainly are, and if you intended to keep the car for a long time, by forking out you would end up with a nice rebuilt/restored example, buying you much more time to enjoy it. 

Don't think of it as an investment, just a good old friend.

Alternatively you could source another 126, but it would probably end up costing you a similar amount (or perhaps a fair bit less), but would have none of the sentimental attachment and history you have shared with your ciaoflyer.

Paulh81

• PINK BUT NOT FOR LONG!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
do the work yourself?
PINK BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!

ciaoflyer

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
I can't weld and I have no room to spray her, it would be easier for a professional to do the job and it would be much better that I could ever do it.
Ciao4Now

Paulh81

• PINK BUT NOT FOR LONG!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
got a few cans of pink if you fancy it?? lol found them in the car after i bought it.
PINK BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!

bis13

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
for starters the front panel is easy to remove and replace its all spot welds in the first place the wings a doddle to do just getting a fit is the only real problem sometimes. your door is elementary the rear arch can be dollied out then filled to make good its only painting that needs the professional touch to finish it all off if you wish. i suggest you look around for a good trade welder who will come around and do it for you theres plenty of mobile welders who charge a very good rate .dont give up dont forget most body shops are in the game for insurance work and charge the earth , your insurer should be able to offer you a payment in lieu of repair and thus you do it yourself. as for the value just because you said around (500 quid value wise say for example) they must still give you the value of the car taking into account the condition , rareness etc .

ciaoflyer

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
Hi again

Going ahead with repair!  :D  What I wanted to know is this, can you get another Bis and cut out the parts I need and weld them to my car?

Ta
Ciao4Now

126dave

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
Hi again

Going ahead with repair!  :D  What I wanted to know is this, can you get another Bis and cut out the parts I need and weld them to my car?

Ta

first, im so sorry to see your car like that...but, if i was you id go for new front panel, new wing, secondhand door and repair the rear wing.....just do it. get the pain over with.....
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

126dave

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
oh and next time its icy stick a bag of sand in the front............i used to run the buzz's with a B+q sand bag up front most of the time..........i think the 126 front suspension is set up for use with a loaded boot......
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge