Author Topic: Carbs  (Read 1949 times)

ypsilon_lancar

Carbs
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
Hi,

Im looking to switch to a better carb on my Aircooled 126p. I have seen a few websites for 500/126 selling Lancia Fulvia carbs, do these fit ok? Might seem like a strange option to choose but i happen to have one laying around!

I have never uprated an engine before and was thinking the following might be the best options but feedback would be welcome!

* Twin carb
* 40/80 cam (seen one on 500mania for 100 euro)
* 4L Sump
* Sports exaust

Would I need to change anything else, or is there anything anyone would recommend?

Thanks

ypsilon_lancar

Re: Carbs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
Found the adaptor to have the Fulvia carb, has anyone else used this carb or does anyone know if its a good swap?

phreak97

• Niki!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:27:04 AM »
I dont know anything about that carb, but you have to remember that no matter how big your carb is it's only going to breathe as much as the opening in the head, so theres no point going bigger than about 30mm total diameter unless you take your head off and grind the inlet port bigger.

I'm currently messing around with a 1 1/4" SU carby, watch for my posts once I get it working:)
--
phreak97

smallcox

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
Performance is never cheap and the more you want the more expensive it gets. :$

Now tuning is all about finding the weakest link, easy when you think about it.

Twin carb does seem a bit over the top on a siemes head as shock wave tuning is out off the question :(

Hotter cams work good but have to be matched to the head to get the best out of them. Always fit an exhaust first as this will only improve the engine but beware this will be more noisey when driven long distance, ie motorway.

Your list will work but would recommend head to be modied first as a cam will not work properly on a standard head and most off the gains in the cam will be lost ???

get that cyclinder head sorted
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

ypsilon_lancar

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »
Cheers guys. I was thinking of getting a Panda 30 head but seems like a lot of messing about.

Im going over to Naples in a few months so will see what bit i can pick up there. You never know I might find a scrap 126 with a brand new alquati engine fitted  ;D

I might in the meantime have the current head skimmed and have some porting and gas flowing done. I will get the exhaust done ASAP! I don't think it could be any louder than when the exhaust fell off (well it snapped off twice!  ::) ).

On a slightly different but related matter, i fitted a set of new dampers and springs to the rear and one side sits higher than the other! The engine is out at the moment (and its now sitting like its in!), will it sort its self out as it beds in?

paul555

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »
Wish you luck in hunting for 126 bits ;) if you have spare panda head i might be interested :P

I did some research for head work in Doncaster and it seems to be well overpriced. I have couple spare engines, took one in bits, it showed cracks between valves. Nothing major though but still cracks, so ask in couple companys for stiching cracks, fitting bigger inlet valves and 3mm skimm. Around 180-200 quid plus valves and that not include porting and polishing :o
About exhaust...it could be ermmm.....LOUD :P I've made some baffles to fit into mine just incase i need it :D
Rear suspension might sort itself out but if not look under rear seat where seam beetwen shocker mounts is (crossmember??) Also check rear bump stop mount/top spring seat. Had similar issue with my old 126 and it just rotted on inner arch but some gentle hammer persuasion and new plate welded sorted problem.