Author Topic: Starting issue  (Read 1260 times)

Paullou126

Starting issue
« on: March 01, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
Hi My bis is hard to start the car takes a fair bit to start from cold. if left more than one day its hard to start. if started every day it’s starts fine with the choke it runs fine and drives fine once it’s going also once it’s hot it needs a lot off throttle to start again
It’s got a new fuel filter new plugs new condenser new air filter
Could it be the fuel pump I think it’s the original pump is still fitted
Thanks

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Starting issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
Could very well be the pump but first you need to eliminate a few things first like what's the state of tune of the carb? Is it healthy i.e are all the linkages good and not slack is the float level correct and is it running rich (black plug tips are an indication to this) also you say you've replaced the condenser but what do the points look like? Are they set right and has the timing been set correctly? In my experience with poor starting it's usually (but not always) something in the electrical system that's the causes the problem. It has to be perfect to give the engine the best chance of starting.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Paullou126

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply I went to the car today but it would not start at all I took the fuel line off the pump that goes to the carb but no fuel comes out when turned over took fuel pump off the rod looks ok but the pump is not the best very hard to push in and looks rusty also the little return spring you can see has corroded and snapped so new pump on order hopefully it will sort it out thanks again

Paullou126

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
New fuel pump fitted car now starts thanks