Author Topic: Car not starting from cold 28IMB Question - SOLVED !  (Read 1687 times)

LeoM

Car not starting from cold 28IMB Question - SOLVED !
« on: October 29, 2019, 10:13:09 AM »
Hello everybody - I have just joined and sorry but I immediately have a question.

My '77 126 has a starting problem fuel related. It will not start from cold. If I throw fuel directly down the barrel it fires up straight away but then cuts out. I have overhauled the original carb with a gasket kit and tried an unknown used carb which was exactly the same. The float chamber is full of fuel and the fuel pump is pumping.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:09:43 PM by LeoM »

LeoM

Re: Car not starting from cold 28IMB Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:04:08 AM »
Resolved ! Well this is one of the strangest problems I've come across.  As a last resort I bought some fresh petrol and fed the pump separately and the car fired up and ran sweetly. It was odd as the old fuel would start the car if thrown directly down the carb. The car was parked up just around May time  and had half a tank of fuel so it wasn't as if it was really old I imagine that some how it's become contaminated.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 12:48:31 AM »
I have read that petrol can deteriorate after 6 months, so perhaps this is your problem.  There is an additive you can purchase to prevent this from happening https://tinyurl.com/t7s3jze

LeoM

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:32 PM »
I'll try some of that as I've now found the same problem with my scooter. Same fuel wouldn't start put a fresh feed on and off it goes. I'm not sure what they put in modern fuels (or not!). I changed all the fuel lines with new CAVIS tubing to keep it original. Within a year they have all gone rock hard.