Author Topic: hot weather and aircooleds  (Read 2592 times)

126dave

hot weather and aircooleds
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:10:04 PM »
guys,and girls,im possibly going to be moving to Malaysia,with temps of 25-35c and high humidity,do you think the 650 would survive the temps???.
i will be running it with the top of the (cut) engine cover open a'la Abarth,and it will be doing highway trips of 100 k in and out of Kuala Lumper.
just musing on this at the mo,any thoughts would be most welcome.
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:20:55 PM »
It gets pretty hot in parts of Italy and Sicily in the height of the summer (up to 34C), the 126 was designed to cope with this, I would suggest fitting an oil cooler and big sump.
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 09:27:26 PM »
hi guys,

i heard that the 500 was used in the north pole, they were simple to fix, cheap and realiable.(for the day) they were slightly modified.

but if they can withstand those sort of - temps then im sure they will be ok in hot climates.

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

kurt green

M
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:00:08 PM »
Hi Buddy

im sure you will be fine. Have you ever been before? There are not many 126's over there....you will get even more shocked looks than you do over here! Maybe you should flog it and buy a tut tut.

kurt

The Laird

126 In Maylasia
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:09:53 PM »
Hi from The Laird of Gozo,

One thing you may not have thought of is humidity. In Malta and Gozo it runs up to 75+% in summer and occasionally at other times of the year ( 68% today midwinter ! ) somewhat similar to where you are going. It eats metal, if your are serious have it waxed. Rubber also suffers badly take some spare tyres as well !! Invest in a pale coloured car cover good for sun protection.

TTFN

126dave

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:55:16 PM »
thanks for all the input,yes,heat and humidity,its the killer there for cars,it will only be used for fun,and be under cover the rest of the time,it was the long runs at near flat out that i was wondering about,i've just come back from there,it was 26c at night and up to 35c daytime,so an oil cooler,even bigger sump (has a larger abarth alloy 1 at the mo) and open engine lid,then guess i'll see what happens..............i cant bear to leave it behind though!!!
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge