Author Topic: 1979 126 Restoration Photo Diary  (Read 6289 times)

earlydoors

1979 126 Restoration Photo Diary
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
Robert, I saw your photos many weeks ago... what can I say, you were a true inspiration. really enjoying the process, well most of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61786434@N00/sets/72157600987133285/show/with/887969430/

Any feedback greatly appreciated, and im after a few spare parts if anyone can help. Thanks in advance

ThePrisoner

• http://www.teamsmash.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:54 PM »
Looking good... :D

How long did it take you to strip it down and spray it, before starting to rebuild it?

Pris. :eek:

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:26:04 PM »
Excellent job!
How much is left to do?
Just ask here for any parts, I am sure someone will help

Chris  :)

earlydoors

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
It took perhaps a week or so to fully strip the car to the shell and find what needed sorting, and then another 2 weeks sorting the paint out, I really cant emphasise how fussy I have been in paying attention to detail, I have now flatted the paintwork again for about the 6th time. I saw a 126 project carried out by another member (Rob) of a 126 he had restored and it spurred me on to do the same, I was a Fiat trained mechanic in 1987 from school and used to work on the little 126s when they were sold as new, to work on one again was like a time warp, I always had a soft spot for them and this one really is getting the full works, or to the best of my abilities, really appreciate any feedback good or bad, I desperately need some parts if anyone can help, unfortunately the car came to me in a pile of bits and several parts are not for the 79 model and some parts are missing and not easily available so 2nd hand is my only option

ThePrisoner

• http://www.teamsmash.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:29:31 PM »
Thats the only thing I am worried about. I am looking for my first 126 that I can do a little work on, but eventually plan to do a full nut and bolt restoration, but finding the right parts will be a worry for me.

Which parts are the hardest to obtain when doing a project like this?

Pris. :)

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »
Every part is available, right down to the little plastic clips if you buy an aircooled. Problems only start if you are looking for 600cc early engine parts or early chrome.
All body panels are fairly easy to get too.

earlydoors

Parts availability
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
Most big bits are available with no problems what so ever, I have recently used a company in Germany and they were superb, other parts are available on ebay, the only problems im encoutering are tiny things like rubber grommets for the rear window hinges, pulleys for the window winder mechanism, these sort of things never break or wear out, its simply they were lost by the previous owner, im sure under normal nut and bolt restorations 99% of the parts are easily obtainable, in my experience (no offence to the wc owners) an early aircooled is the one to spend your money on, before 1980 if poss for a true italian one, and please bear in mind a nut and bolt restoration really isnt cheap, even if you are doing it your self and as for time it can easil,y run into hundreds of hours, its ok if you have the free time but its not so much fun if it drags on for months, you really must think about what tools will be needed and what sort of end rsult you are hoping for, If i can help let me know, my car now drives and im just sorting a couple of bugs other than that im  100% happy, it drives like brand new. to do a restoration like this can be really rewarding.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »
Ok you know best :lol:  As I said ALL parts are east to find, if you need any PM me.

earlydoors

Parts
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »
Thanks for your offer, mail sent, I have some early 126 parts if a swap could be done ?

Rob 126 personal

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 04:24:55 AM »
[/quote]Robert, I saw your photos many weeks ago... what can I say, you were a true inspiration. really enjoying the process, well most of it.

Hi early doors, thanks for the compliments. Wow looking at your pictures I thought for a second I was looking at my car. Same colour, same carpeted interior, same year!. Excellent work I am impressed! Too bad, the rubber mat under the bonnet covers up all the nice detail. (I decided to not put in back on my car) You need to lower the front a bit and add some Cromodora alloys! Is the top coat just urethane paint or did you add a clear coat as well?

Any way, it’s great to see I have inspired another owner, ( a few out there now)  I hope more owners start giving the 126 the respect it deserves (like the 500) I think only the early models (up to 80)  will gain popularity and value with more of these restored “jewels” out there. For sure the first model with a sunroof will be the most valued in the future.

Speaking of inspirations, well this is not the only Fiat model I own. I have inspired many 124 coupe owners world wide with my two babes  

Parts, I have a lot of OEM mother Fiat produced stuff.

Robert

earlydoors

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »
Robert,
Great to hear from you, for you to be impressed im speechless....
My restoration was a lot less involved than yours, I had no rot to deal with.
I used to work and was trained as a mechanic working for a fiat dealership in the 80's and when I found your photos on the net I just had to do something similar, I found my one on ebay, it was the first 1 I found and bought it straight away. it is now up and running and drives like brand new, im really happy with my efforts.
The paintwork is cellulose, with no lacquer, its my first ever attempt at painting a car and I think I done ok, I have now flatted some areas again and will then paint it again follwed by a mop compound and polish, the only reason I have spent so so much time on paintwork and preparation was because of the end result you managed to achieve.

I did buy some Cinqucento alloys but have decided to keep it standard although I would dearly love a set of alloys similar to yours I just cant spend any more money on it at the moment, unless you know of a set going for a reasonable price?
As you probably saw from my flickr photos it was in parts when i bought it and sadly many little parts are missing and I do require some other parts to make it 100%, dajwid a fellow member has kindly offered some help in obtaining some parts for me so hopefully soon it will be close on perfect as can be with out going totally crazy on it.

To lower the front, would i be right in saying it would be different shocks or is it a bit more involved?

dont suppose you have the tensioner wheel which is fitted to the inside of the doors used to tension the winder mechanism cables? im missing one amongst a few other really small bits and bobs?

Fiat 124s hey, funnily enough I saw one on the road last week, brought back very fond memories, a good friend had a corker about 20 years ago which I used to go in but sadly some idiot drove into the back of him and totally wrote it off.

Great to hear from you, if you think you can help me finish the last little jobs please get in touch, i will pm you my details.

Where are you located/based?

Best Regards and thank you again for your comments, love to see your pictures of the 124s

Mike