Author Topic: Engine mount spring!  (Read 2555 times)

markymarc

Engine mount spring!
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
Just a quick question folks?
I was told to try and stiffen up my engine shake by the exhaust maker guy? Now i got myself new rubber mounts and an abarth spring to mayb help this problem? As the spring is shorter do i have to shorten the bolt or metal sleeve thats in the centre?

Hasty answers please as wana fit today?

Cheers

smallcox

Re: Engine mount spring!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
I get the shakes some times but a size 3 from the wife sorts this out :$

I quess you have had exhaust issues marky?

The gearbox mounts are always worth replacing as they often breakdown.  when the engine is at idle the mounts do little to hold the engine from rocking which is what I quess your worried about. The only reasons for fitting a stiffer coil spring is when on opening the throttle the power is transmitted to the axles and thus the gearbox/engine try to rotate in the oposite direction to the axle. If you have enough power the spring will become coil bound and you will sense a gringing nosie through the vehicle which is not good for you or car. The other reason if your off road and the terrain is rough and this can cause coil bound too. I had problem with coil and found a bis spring is slightly stronger and I fitted rubber bands on the coils to assist under full throttle. However warning at replacing the spring with a stiffer one if not required a stiffer spring will transmit more noise into the car.

Regards Smallcox

ps you still use the tube through the centre and this sets the spring compression so you use the same bolt, does that help.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:53:54 AM by smallcox »
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »
Marc as far as I am aware you are running a stock engine with a custom exhaust so if you are getting a lot of engine "bounce" then I would think that it is more likely that the engine is not quite in tune as they tend to tick over like little sewing machines when they are happy  :)
As for the bolt & spacer,  to be secure the bolt has to lock down the spacer otherwise it will fall apart. If when locked down the spring is still free then I guess you will have to try some mods.

markymarc

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:36:24 AM »
Many thanks guys, I think lil rod needs to go for a tune up from my fave place in Colchester! They love it when I turn up! As for noise in the car Smallcox......have U seen my car? No windows and an exhaust louder than a Hawain shirt in summer, don't think it'll make a difference lol
Marc

grubscrew

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
....how to put a spring in without removing half the paint.,
No 1 Compress spring in a vice.
No.2 use 2 strong cable ties through the coils opposite sides, and tighten.
No 3 unwind vice, and you shold have a compressed spring.
No.4 Handle spring like you would gelignite.
No 5 Insert,lower engine on to spring, cut cable ties. Mike
All things Italian.

Xylaquin

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »
Reviving this thread for the purpose of this question:

Do the aircooled and BIS is the same spring?

I’ve got two springs in front of me, one is shorter and stiffer the other is taller and easier to compress.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:28:47 PM »
I think the shorter one is for the air-cooled which is top mounting, where as the Bis is supported underneath.
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »
From memory, the early air cooled engines have a different spring to the later models, the early one is taller.
Every cloud has one...