Author Topic: Wipers wont switch off - temporary fix  (Read 1454 times)

Maluch_UK

• Subscribers
Wipers wont switch off - temporary fix
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:53:59 PM »
Just thought I'd make a quick post re. a wiper fault on the off chance someone has encountered the same unusual problem.

The wipers on my '97 126P when switched on (doesn't matter what speed) will maintain wiping even when the stalk was located back to the off position. The only way to stop the wipers was to kill the ignition. As a normal on / off switch do not normally release a connection upon killing power it was a apparent that a relay may be at fault possibly due to lack of pullout force (connection could be made but not broken).

I opened the wiper relay removed from my 126 to find the internal relay contacts were pitted and worn, it shall need to be replaced but I decided to clean it up and get a little more life out of it until I can get my hands on a replacement. So the following steps are a temporary fix only as there is no real way of repairing pitted contacts inside of a relay.

i. The first picture is of the suspected relay (serial no. PdW-10) located just in front of the wiper motor.To release, remove the single bolt and carefully remove the two female connectors from underneath the relay.
ii. With long nose pliers unfold the metal casing where the edges fold onto the plastic base to enable access to the inside of the relay
iii. Using very fine sandpaper, sand the contact where indicated within the picture (the side identified by the red arrow). Do not sand the other side as I noted that there was a delicate wire terminated at this contact any effort to sand the contact would damage the wire connection. Do not stretch or pull the arms where possible, pull the contact to be sanded gently to one side only enough of a gap to fit the sandpaper between the two contacts. Rub the contact with the sandpaper to remove surface corrosion.
iv. Clean away any loose debris from the contacts with compressed air duster.
v. This next part shall be hit and miss. Check that there is a gap between the two contacts. The gap is incredibly small, thinner than a piece of paper. Gently place the metal casing over the plastic base and reinstate the female connectors. If wiper blades do not switch on when controlled from the wiper stalk then the contacts are too far apart, if the wipers do not switch off then the contacts are too close together. Only when the gap is just right shall the wipers function normally (It took a few attempts to get the gap between the contacts just right and restore wiper function to normality so a little patience shall be required).
vi. When it appears wipers are working normally secure the metal casing by folding the casing onto the plastic base and reinstate with the fixing bolt.

Can anyone help me out and sell me a PdW-10 wiper relay?  :-

Xylaquin

Re: Wipers wont switch off - temporary fix
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:02:46 PM »
Tenner on OLX (although it's a bit like a Polish Gumtree in that you have to message the seller to buy stuff)
https://www.olx.pl/oferta/fiat-126p-przekaznik-wycieraczek-nowy-pdw-10-12v-10a-maluch-regulator-CID5-IDuNhmh.html

If you don't fancy that, the next best price I could find was £15 if you buy from a shop:
http://sklep.roda24.pl/regulator-wycieraczki-126p-12v-10a.html

Maluch_UK

• Subscribers
Re: Wipers wont switch off - temporary fix
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
Tenner on OLX (although it's a bit like a Polish Gumtree in that you have to message the seller to buy stuff)
https://www.olx.pl/oferta/fiat-126p-przekaznik-wycieraczek-nowy-pdw-10-12v-10a-maluch-regulator-CID5-IDuNhmh.html

If you don't fancy that, the next best price I could find was £15 if you buy from a shop:
http://sklep.roda24.pl/regulator-wycieraczki-126p-12v-10a.html

Good info, thanks Xylaquin. First I've heard of OLX, I'll give them a shot!