Author Topic: 126Bis Restoration By a Beginner... (Engine Rebuild Finished)  (Read 19936 times)

naboula01

Hello dear members of Club126,
So i'll first introduce myself, i'm a 21 year old student, and for the first time of my life i bought a car. A Fiat 126Bis.
Lots of people told me that it was a bad idea, i guess it wasn't. The car is fine, but there is things to fix on it, such as the Brake, which isn't working at all, The gasoline automatic, some leak of oil and water, a recent problem on the reverse gear, a Destroyed Exhaust :), non working pointer(s), non working lights, Problem on Fuel consumption(look like burning too much), A door to fix, a door window's to fix(the same by the way), Couples of holes to fill, and that's all i think :)
Anyway this was kind of joke :P I mean i don't really an expert on cars, my knowledge is very limited. But i am very ambitious about this "project". I want to learn as much as i have fun when i'll restore-improve it.
I just look for people ready to share knowledge and experience with me, to help on my quest :)
Anyway i already started to "restore" my car, and here are the pics of it.
The first time i bought the car it was like this :

The First thing to do when i got it home was to take out the seats, and floor which was very wet

After i removed the seat's and the floor :

I discovered so many things under it! even money older than me :) :D
But everything was so much funny, everyone know that rust is a terrible thing, and i was terryfied when i saw the floor(a complete part of the steel under the seat was missing) and rust was everywhere. I don't even wnat to talk about holes...
Some of the holes are visible if looked closely :
(The Rear right side)

(Driver's left side was missing, i putted a steel plate of 4mm{Thank to my father :P})

(Driver's Side there is also one hole which isn't visible here but it was so big that my hand could get throught it!!!!)

(Passenger Side)

(Right side of the back-someone put a steel plate before me???)

My little cat helping me :) (R.I.P. due to an infection)

The new seat i want to put in :

The old(very old and rusty) exhaust fixed(but already broken) :

The "NewHomeHandMade" floor :

After Both side were fixed temporarly :

How i make my car get higher ;) :D

That's kind of all for now, i'm waiting for your support ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:53:59 PM by naboula01 »

Emin

Re: 126Bis Restoration By a Beginner...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
Good luck with the restoration. You seem to be busy for quite a olng time. Where are you in Turkey?

ciaoflyer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
Interesting exhaust, looks homemade?
Ciao4Now

naboula01

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
Emin : yes look like i'll be very busy... I am in Aydın, what about you?
Ciaoflyer : I don't know, this exhaust was already on it when i bought it, i just fixed it a little bit. The pipes are too short so the exhaust touch the engine, and the vibrations broke the pipes(again) so i guess it was homemade. I am working now on making a new exhaust because even if i fix it it'll broke again, i'm thinking about putting it a little bit lower like 1 cm.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:59:37 PM by naboula01 »

Emin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
I am in Istanbul. If I had a 126 I would have found parts suppliers and known right people for tricky bits and then would be able to help to fans in Turkey. Unfortunately I have to wait for some more. Anyway, there are some nice cars in Aydın. I think weather is relatively dry there, so not much rust. Good luck again and ıf there's anything I would be of any help let me know.

naboula01

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »
Emin, i hope you will find a good car. But be careful spare parts in Turkey are hard to find. And sometime expensive, at least for me.
So anyway here are the last update from my project.
The ex-owner of the car was surely a crazy man... At least the man who repaired the car was... A butcher... The fuel pump was out of order, it didn't pumped at all. So i bought a new one. Cleaned the distributor, and... Add a new seat from a Renault Espace.
Here is my engine, i just added a fuel filter.

Just painted the "new" floor, because it was getting rusty.

The front part, and my battery.

Another look of the floor.

I cleaned the petrol tank. I was rusty, had water in it, also a little bit of sand... but just little...  :-X
I also painted it. Too bad i didn't took a photo for the before after part.

The fuel meter. It doesn't work well. I tried everything but after the first quarter of fuel it doesn't show at all. Does anyone know why? Or how it is repaired?

Here is our old Fuel pump. With a little bit of silicon.

After the removal of the Fuel pump.

The new pump compared to the old one.

The distributor.

When i put the new Fuel pump i added a "homemade" seal. Because i saw that when i put the fuel pump on the engine it was getting in(i don't know how to explain :S) I saw somewhere there were couple of seal so i made mine. But then i realise that it was normal that the little part under the pump get in when you were installing it.

The new seal i got. installed this one now and it is working.

The new rail for my seats.

My new seats.

Lately i had a big problem with my engine. After i installed my "new redesigned" exhaust the engine didn't want to start. i tried everything but no matter what i did i didn't worked. And also my battery just got crazy and kept getting empty fastly. So i asked my friend why it could be so, he told it might be the carburetor and the starter. After trying a couples of thing we decided to dismount the engine totally... And it was a good idea...
Pics are comimg ;)

naboula01

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
So here are the pics as promised :)
Here is the Fan.

And here is the Engine before the dismount.

We had a problem while removing the engine. They welded the support directly on the car.

Finally, the engine is down.

The engine's place.

The gearbox. How it is messy :S  :o

THe engine is a real mess...

The water pump was hard to clean.

The seal were silicon. They put silicon everywhere!!!

Even in the valves!!!

The pistons.

The valves.

So what have we found in the engine...
A glass of water, a glass of sand and dirt and a little bit of tape... Great!!!  :o

The gears of the transsmision.

Inside the engine.

The pistons.

And finally, how would it be if i install these wheels on my 126...

Just kinding...

Anyway i'd like to know if anyone have advices for me. Or improvement i could do while my engine is dismounted.

I bought some pieces on internet. And sent my carburator to repair. I plan to rebuild the engine this weekend. I hope they won't be any problem thought...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:02:54 PM by naboula01 »

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »
Only thing i would recommend is removing all this cardboard tunning cr*p of the car and restoring it to an original state, i must say all these addons make it look horrible. No hard feelings, thats just my opinion. As for engine improvments, id recommend a copper headgasket...
PLEASE FOLLOW MY PROGRESS ON IG: https://www.instagram.com/fiatbis/

naboula01

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Well... To be honest i like it like that... :S
It look like a little bit like a sport car, and that is what i look for in a car  ::)
(By the way i'm not offended, every one has their opinion, as long as they don't swear or be rude against me it's OK  :D )
You said Copper Head Gasket... i Just bought a full set of seals and gasket unfortunately... But i might get one... Could you be a little bit more specific about it? I mean, why copper head gasket? and the thickness, because i don't think i'll be able to find one in Turkey. :S

naboula01

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
I just bought today a set of connecting Rod, a new clutch, A full set of gasket for the transmission and the engine, New rings and the rear engine spring(for mounting). Also i sent two weeks ago the engine to revision, to be cleaned a readjusted. I hope to remount the engine this week-end, hope it will work...  8)

ciaoflyer

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »
Well... To be honest i like it like that... :S
It look like a little bit like a sport car, and that is what i look for in a car  ::)
(By the way i'm not offended, every one has their opinion, as long as they don't swear or be rude against me it's OK  :D )
You said Copper Head Gasket... i Just bought a full set of seals and gasket unfortunately... But i might get one... Could you be a little bit more specific about it? I mean, why copper head gasket? and the thickness, because i don't think i'll be able to find one in Turkey. :S

Here's one:

http://www.ricambio.co.uk/829-copper-head-gasket--fiat-126

I think because they are made of copper instead of cardboard they are much stronger re the overheating problems.
Ciao4Now

Emin

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
Because the customs regulations are strict nowadays, custom fees are three times more than the part itself unfortunately. I am looking for different solutions for the part i will need for my non-existent 126. So, good luck.

bis13

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
does anyone know anyone going on hols to turkey to pack in a gasket and send it off once in turkey? i think what you are doing is great carry on bringing the bis back up to running order. while you have the engine out make sure that all the points where the exhaust and brackets are in place and are in good order if studs are being used that they are good and if bolts are being used ensure the holes have good threads as this is a major headache in the pursuit of a working exhaust on the bis.

naboula01

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
So, after a long time here i am :D
I didn't had much time to work on my car due to exams and school :S
But anyway the engine just came and i'll soon upload new photos, so see you soon!!!

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
Keep up the great work, Naboula, Inshallah you will have a cool car at the end of it and I look forward to seeing your latest pictures!  I have not been to Turkey for many years, which part are you in?
Every cloud has one...