Author Topic: Project 126 Aygo  (Read 51474 times)

pietschokkenbroek

Project 126 Aygo
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
Hello, I hope you are not going to hate me for my choice of engine.. :$

I would like to share the project I am working on at the moment. I bought the 126 (1976) 1,5 year ago and wanted to do an engine swap. At first I went for an Honda VFR750 motorcycle engine (Great sound!!) but this turned out to be way to much work without being to sure how it would end..

So I started looking for small (affordable) engines. My idea was to use the original fiat gearbox and wanted the engine to fit in the engine compartment (without any extention regarding the bodywork). It turned out that a Toyota Aygo engine would make a nice fit.

To make a (very..) long story a bit shorter I went for the option of putting the engine transversal and using the Aygo gearbox. The foto's shows you a mock-up of the progress so far.

RicePuddin

Re: Project 126 Aygo
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
I know this goes against what the purests believe but I love an engine swap.
Good luck with it and upload lots of photos.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Oooooh! That is an interesting project.

I assume brakes will be upgraded as the Aygo could do about 100MPH 67BHP ;-)

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
oooh, you'll haVe to share an audio clip!

What did you do with the old engine?  It's a 594cc, if you've still got it I'd be intersted subject to price and postage!  ;D
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
that's a nice choice.
very nice engine fit, and the 3 pot is a nice engine
Rust does not discriminate

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
Very interesting project. I would love to see if it works. Please keep us posted. Hope it does not end up like so many others, as an unfinished project.

pietschokkenbroek

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
Thanks for all your reactions! I'll keep you posted!

What did you do with the old engine?  It's a 594cc, if you've still got it I'd be intersted subject to price and postage!  ;D
The original engine is in the one of the pictures below. Interested? Postage alone will set you back at least 160 Euros...

Very interesting project. I would love to see if it works. Please keep us posted. Hope it does not end up like so many others, as an unfinished project.
At this point I could point out how determent I am to finish this, in a few months time and all to the highest standard... But I am not going to... I really love working on this project with all the engineering challenges but no one knows what the future brings and priorities can change.

pictures below show some of the challenges ahead (wiring) and the milling required to adapt the gearbox for mounting in its new position. I had to turn the gearbox to get the diff in front of the engine. Fiatos gave me the idea of turning the gearbox.

I turned the gearbox abaut 180°, cause it's not possible to turn the diff in her housing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please keep sending your comments, those are real morale boosters!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:53:36 PM by pietschokkenbroek »

pietschokkenbroek

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
A small update of what I have been doing this weekend (about the car that is!! ;D)
I fabricated a (very simple) enginestand. This way it is much easier to move the block around, as it will be out of the car several times I guess!

Next up: beginning to sort out the wiring  :headscratch:!! The guy of wich I bought the engine from (and a lots of other stuff) said it was just plug and play, Yea right. I had to connect several connectors (more than 20!!) I connected a small motorcycle battery and turned the ignitionkey.... I don't have fuel lines connected, but was supprised that al the dash lights worked and the startermotor turned :yahoo: :yahoo:

next: connect fuel lines and see what happens...

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
WoW Piet, That's scarry! But good to no that everything lights up ;D I think your a very brave man :thumbup
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Tate

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:45:09 AM »
One small step for pietschokkenbroek, one giant leap for CLUB126UK  ;D
Fiat 126 -73 project
2 x BMW E21

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
Fingers crossed here.

gertjanx38

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »
Looks nice,,,

When im finished with mine build we can do a race!!! :D

I am building a fiaprilia,  a 1000cc 2 cilinder aprilia bike engine in mine fiat,

For some progress foto's
http://www.aprilia-riders.nl/forum/index.php?topic=20656.0

Gertjan

pietschokkenbroek

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
Thanks guys!  :secret: But all the credit should be for the Toyota people who came up with so many different connectors that they will only fit the right way. It is realy amazing, and it works!

Last tuesday I bought some more Aygo parts.. Radiator, front wheelhubs, alternator, fuelpump (including fuel level unit, smart!) and another piece of wiringloom (the part used in the back of the Aygo) to connect the fuelpump!

Poured some petrol in a bucket  :$ dropped the pump in... and tried to start. Nothing happend :headscratch:. After connecting all 7 (!) earth points of the wiring, the engine came alive :yahoo:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:41:59 PM by pietschokkenbroek »

pietschokkenbroek

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
Here is an update of what I've been doing last week (besides guessing cars on this forum  ;))

Because of some unfortunate calculations (basically none whatsoever  ;D ) I had to modify the olie pan of the engine in order to get the right drive shaft to the right wheel. The result turned out rather nice, I think (bit proud  :thumbup )

My good friend and photographer Gideon was there to capture the progress.

:( Can't get more then two photos uploaded, what am I doing wrong?)

Da Londo

• It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
Very nice work Piet, the small engines these days are helpfull for engine swap projects, you're not that far from me so I may pop in one day to see your work, will notify beforehand ofcourse.