Author Topic: "take apart a gearbox and replace some gears" no probs  (Read 2617 times)

rmbruton

• before
"take apart a gearbox and replace some gears" no probs
« on: November 15, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
ok so ....... a wee update from edinburgh. got a new gasket set for the engine and gearbox with the thought that i would replace some of the gaskets on the gearbox and an oil change with a quick check thru the inspection cover. you all know whats coming up...... reverse, first and third. all shot. another job to do. never done it b4 not even on one of my motorbikes.  not looking forward to the rebuild, will have to order the kit first. some good news is i get the head back from the engineer shop all clened and valves reseated. will be able to start rebuilding soon.
i do need some advice. can anybody give me advice on replaceing the rear swing arm bushes as i'm finding it very hard to remove the old ones.

thanks 

robin

Paul632

Re: "take apart a gearbox and replace some gears" no probs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:50:29 PM »
It may be easier just to fit different swing arms ?
I've got a pair, although I live right down in Leicestershire !
If you want them you can come and collect, free of charge !

I'll look at the bushes on mine in the daylight to see if I can work out how to remove them.
I admire your determination in doing the gearbox !
I did a mini one about 20 years ago and thought NEVER AGAIN, although they are far, far more difficult compared to the nice Fiat one.

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
I have carried out this job on a 500.  I used a bench vice and sockets to push them out.  In order to get the geometry correct take some measurements to determine if the bushes are central or offset.  Also when removing the arm make sure you catch all the shims and note which side they came from.  I found it a right pain to put it back together, kept on dropping shims.  I also set the car down then final tighten of the bolts to get the bushes in the position.

Ralph

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »
tell you what did, i burnt the old rubbers out with a blow torch just leaving the outer casing,i then used a hack saw blade to cut the casing in two halfs the pushed each half out with a drift. once out i cleaned out the bore and pressed in the new ones. they go in alot easier than getting them out! ;)
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D