Author Topic: where can i pick up a not too expensive 126?  (Read 8839 times)

luisa_ru

where can i pick up a not too expensive 126?
« on: July 09, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »
I am looking for a fiat 126 as a surprise for my Dad and I wanted to know where I can find one?

The don't seem to be too easy to come by.

I don't want to spend a fortune on one, maybe £500 (am I dreaming, getting one so cheap?) it doesn't have to be in great condition just so long as it runs.

All comments and ideas are welcomed.

Cheers  :D

richard

fiat 126 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
are you looking for a car with tax and mot ??

your £500 is a good budject to have and i would definately say you will find one easy for that

maybe on a website called ebay ? www.ebay.com or maybe a member on here can help ?

the fiat 126 bis is the later car and is watercooled and is cheaper to buy than a original 126 thats aircooled

so upto you wish you go for ?

luisa_ru

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 07:31:45 PM »
Hey Richard,

I'm a bit of a car novice but yes, I would prefer a car with tax and MOT. Its good to know I'm being realistic with my budjet! I just need to be sure that the car I get will be able to be used. I'm not planning on buying it to sit in the garage it will definately be used 3 or 4 days a week as a little run-around.

I have checked on ebay and I couldn't find very much. I am also a little anxious because I have never bought a car from a private sale before so i don't really know what questions to ask and how to make sure that i'm getting a half decent car. I would be very disappointed if I bought it and then a week later it broke down. However, I do appreciate that there will be a degree of maintainance required with an older car.

I'm quite happy to go for a watercooled 126 cos that was the type that we originally owned in the late 80s/early90s.

Thanks for your help though, its appreciated  :)

P.S. Whatever car I do get will have to be fit enough to make the trip from wherever to Edinburgh. Oh dear, I can just see my little 126 chugging along the A1 against all those big lorries! Lol!

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »
forget the A1 Luisa!!  :lol:  I came up to yorkshire from London a few weekends ago on the M1, the BIS (the later watercooled model made from 87'-92') can cruise happily at 65-70mph as apposed to the aircooled models which have a top speed of about 60-65 tops. My 126 BIS did 60 miles to the gallon! However the car does get blown about a bit with the cross winds and lorries passing.

The BIS also has the engine under the floor so to speak so you have the advantage of a boot and a proper hatcback with seats that fold down. Some people say  that the BIS isnt as reliable as the older aircooled models, however this is largely down to people not maintaining them properly.

With regard to private sales, its good that you are concerned as there are alot of con men out there. Ebay can be a dodgy place to buy from so make sure you see the car first, before bidding. Prefferably take someone who knows a little about cars, you can make sure you get a receipt that you both sign,

if its a water cooled 126 (BIS) ask if the head gasket has ever been done

I would suggest that you get a car with a new MOT or one which has at least 6 months remaining, as you can then get it taxed (if its not already) and will be a road legal car for you and your dad to use after you have insured it of course.

another thing you could check for is if the Kingpins are worn, xif it has just had a legitimate MOT then they should be fine.

Watch out for rust make sure there are no massive holes, as there will probably be some more rust in the critical MOT failng areas too.

hope all this info helps, just ask away on here any questions you need answering.

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

luisa_ru

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 10:18:31 PM »
Ok, I obviously need help learning about this little car!

What is a BIS an abbreviation for?

How does the working of the watercooled version differ from the aircooled one? Does water prevent the engine from overheating instead of air?

I'm a little simple so please be kind to me!

Would I ask the vendor for a receipt which we both sign or should I bring one? If so where do I get one?

What's a head gasket? Where is it? And what's its function? Emm, the same goes for Kingpins - what, where and function of them?

I will look carefully for rust.

Unfortunately I am working in Bridlington at the moment with all women so I don't have anyone who I could take with me who knows about cars. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thank you for being good to me. I don't know much about cars but if someone will teach me & give me some little hints and tips, I am willing to learn :D

Chris Lakin

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 10:42:08 PM »
Hi Luisa,

The aircooled ones are suposed to be more reliable as they dont over heat like the watercooled ones (the BIS) when they over heat it splits the Head gasket and so alow water to mix with the oil which thus makes it run a milky cream colour and texture. The head gasket itself is a fibrous material but new headgaskets they use copper as they expand better with the heat, the head gasket goes in between the cylinderhead and the engine block, all you need ot know if whether this has been replaced, if alot of steamy smoke comes out of the exhaust then you know the head gasket has probably gone, also you can check the oil and oil filler cap for a milky milkshake like cream in the oil.

The BIS engine quite simply gets cooled by water, nobody really knows what BIs stands for, but some people say it tranbslates to second version i.e second version to the earlier aircooled ones i.e. BI = twice. Not sure if this is true. The aircooled engine has a fan which runs off the engine that cools the engine.

The king pins are a pivotol pin on the wheels, after alot of miles of turning and going round corners these pins wear down and become sloppy (the tick is to keep them well greased) again if its had an MOT theyd would have checked the king pins by tugging on the wheels.

I really think you should go for a 126 with a new MOT, however an MOt doesnt alway mean the car is road worthy there are plenty of dodgy MOt stations and tricks to get around MOT's still. One trick is to tell the buyer that your husband/boyfreind/father is a mechanic and that he will eb sorting the car but was working today so couldnt come along, that way you might find they will panick a bit and tell you everything thats wrong with it. (but have faith in people! :D)

keep us posted Luisa

where abouts in yorkshire are you? as we have plenty of member sup there who might be able to help you.

regards

Chris

paul harbinson.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
Here Chris my air cooled will do 80 :wink:There must be somthing wrong with your speedo :lol:Hello Luisa hows it goin?Go for the best you can afford,aircooled or aqua cooled.If you want a wee bit more smoothness(what am I saying :lol:  ) go for the water cooled but for old school charm go for the air cooled. :cool:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

Chris Lakin

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 07:51:30 AM »
hahahah, youre dam right theres somthing wrong with it, no lie, when im doing 40 it reads 50, when im doing 60 it reads 80 + on the speedo. strange, but i can do 40 through 30max speed cameras  :lol:

Plus Paul your 126 were the better of them all, they must have pretty much mastered building 126's in Poland after nearly 30's years!

Did you say you reverted back to a distributor, the el came with electronic ignition?

regards

Chris

paul harbinson.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 11:16:29 AM »
No mate mines dizzyless.Pick up sensor on the crank pully,an ecm and a coil.thats about it.Here off on a tangent here,was driving through Belfast last night after italia won the cup,I got swamped by ex pat Italians.It was quite surreal but very cool :cool:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

spanner

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »
have a fiat 126 bis for sale for £600 or nearest offer!
new mot and new tax, used daily and great fun

fiatfsm

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
hi, welcome to our world! BIS stands for more basically. more hassle to be exact, get yourself a real 126... aircooled :lol:
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

126dave

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 07:20:05 PM »
as an aside,do not the French use the term BIS to show a holiday route? rather than the normal direct route?..i always assumed the name of BIS meant 'tourer' or...dare i say it................GT???  :lol: so,personal 4 for town work,bis for the longer trip/luggage carrier???? just a thought :cool:
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Chris Lakin

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
good theory dave sounds very credible, we have a bloke who comes on here whos from versailles and owns a bis would be nice to ask him.

regards

Chris

126dave

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 07:39:12 PM »
just checked my trusty michelin map book,the 'itineraire BIS road' is used to denote ''less congested alternative routes'' :lol: means really holiday routes....i think the polish were trying to bring that idea to the bis model??
GT with longer legged gearing/more torque??

im being serious here,respect to the concept  :cool:
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Chris Lakin

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »
its possible, i was told once BIS meant twice as ina biscuit which means twice cooked?? sounds stupid, but latin? maybe it means head gasket twice cooked  :lol:  :lol:

chris