Author Topic: Another BIS - To Spain!  (Read 31296 times)

jonny126

Re: Another BIS "Turns out there was more filler than I thought!"
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:52 PM »
Ha ha! Well at least I'm not the only one.

I might see if I can weld a tab or put a locating pin in it somewhere to stop it doing it. Yeah, its really annoying.

jonny126

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »
Guh, front panel I ordered ended up being an EL one. Not the one in the picture! Hopefully I can get a refund and sort another one out in time for april.

baron_matt

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
What is the difference in Front Panel?

jonny126

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »
Second ridge, halfway up the headlights on the original. The one I received is an EL (?) With a flatter front. I'll get a pic up in a bit to show the difference.

Kowalski

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
Oh one other thing, does anyone know how to stop the whole gear lever rotating around? Nothing is undoing, but it just keeps spinning.

Same here...

i've given up on it being aligned  :)

jonny126

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
Ha! A common problem I see.

I've decided to keep the front panel now. It didnt cost too much and after offering it up to the car, seems good without the bumper on. It'll need some work itself though, quality is a little iffy.

Parts are turning up thick and fast now. Got new points and condenser, rubber bushes, king pin kit, wings, plugs, leads, filters, all to go on. Not much else to do other than wait until I'm free to begin work on the beast.

jonny126

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »
Made a list of everything that needs to be done. Nearly ran out of room!

Fitted most of the service bits like plugs and leads. I'll do the points and condenser once I have the thing running and can get it to my mate who's a wiz at older ignition bits. It does run ok at the moment so don't want to ruin it by fitting something I'm not familiar with.

Ordered some other bits just, breather filter for the oil cap section, new fuel hose, perishables mostly.

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 07:54:02 AM »
Im 3 years down the line and my list is still that long- but keep going you'll get there.. ;D
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Kowalski

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
...gotta love cars with big lists  8)

jonny126

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 01:09:03 PM »
yeah just keep chipping away. Like everything there'll always be something else to sort. Got a good week to just work on this thing none stop, so in THEORY a lot of it should be sorted. Ha ha we'll see.

jonny126

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »
Gave in two dissertation reports today, treated myself to some time on the BIS. Whipped the rear panel off and gave the oil filter a good clean. Real simple job to be honest, so long as you ignore the sheared bolts, ha ha . . .

Mmmm mucky. The oil must have been in the engine since it was hauled up. Its a good few years old, but surprisingly still oil like. A good sign I guess. A good dose of engine flush wont go a miss when I get round to changing the oil.

jonny126

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »

Replaced the gearbox mounts, as, well, they didnt hold anything any more.

Also replaced the tie rods, and considering they were a good 25 years old with half that time being spent outside in a garden, they were pretty bloody easy to get off! I allowed a good hour to do one side, ended up doing the pair in 30 minutes ha ha!

jonny126

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 01:42:55 AM »
Well coursework is over, so I went to town on the BIS.

Mounted a gauge and kill switch in place of the ashtray. The gauge was 70% off, and was water temp so figured it'd be handy!

Had a fight with the bearings, they lost

painted and fitted the disc conversion brackets up front

Had a fight with the ali mounting blocks, only got one off. Spring is off though ready for cleaning and greasing. I might try the polish technique of lowering too.
Ive done a lot of other faffy bits too, annoyingly can't afford any welding gas until the end of the month, so no welding, which is pretty much "all" it needs now. Ha yeah right.

Kowalski

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
Mounted a gauge and kill switch in place of the ashtray. The gauge was 70% off, and was water temp so figured it'd be handy!

Very clever work there.  :good:

jonny126

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
Cheers Kowalski!

Managed to do a load more work on the fiat today.

Got the other side's ali mounting block off ok, I'll skim them down on monday. Rebuilt the leaf spring too, greased it all and swapped leaf 12 to the bottom to see how it looks/feels.

Also managed to fit some speakers in the door cards, the quality will no doubt be pretty poor, but they were 3 quid car boot sales ones, and I was a big fan of the 80's look! Shame the door cards are utterly buggered. It'll be simple enough to make some replacements though.

Also started taking the LH wing off. I have no idea what I'm doing. I've tried the spot weld drill bit and nothing seems to want to give. I'm going to put the body work off until I can get a mate round who's far more familiar with the stuff!