Author Topic: Another BIS - To Spain!  (Read 31305 times)

jonny126

Another BIS - To Spain!
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »
Hey guys. Last summer I put up a few pics of a BIS me and my girlfriend bought, with the intention of fixing him up and getting him on the road. Well, we bought it, and upon further inspection, there was MUCH more filler and other things in the body work that was hidden surprisingly well!

I knew the wings were pretty dodgy at the top, but no biggy. After taking the bumpers off, a lot of rust was hidden behind it, as well as a fair few holes. Anyway, out came the grinder to take some of the rust back. Was coming out a little to powdery for rust . . . whole front panel, up to an inch thick of filler in some places. Oh dear oh dear.

So that's where it ended for a good while with lack of money, uni, another project and work all getting in the way. We've now moved, now with space, a garage with power and time to do work. I cracked on again and started stripping the interior and old carpet. Apart from the wings and front panel, the rest isnt really that bad. It must have been in a shunt at some point, as the rear LH light was filler and bonded on. Couple of bits need doing in the interior and the boot but bar that the underside is pretty sound.

Heres some pics of the most recent tinkering. Ive tried to find the old pics but photobucket has made them disappear . . .

Tried an odd banded steel on the car, looks good!

So plans first and foremost are to get him roadworthy (welding, new panels and bushes). I'll then make up a front lower wishbone kit as well as sort some wheels, sort out and tidy the interior too as the seats are pretty tatty. I'll try and keep things updated!  :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:40:34 AM by jonny126 »

fixit

Re: Another BIS "Turns out there was more filler than I thought!"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
gosh it will be a lighter car ;D

jonny126

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
ha ha! It'll certainly be a bit lighter without all the filler!!

A little more progress today, got half the floor finished for welding, need to get a welder now . . .

Also threw some petrol in and tried to get him running. I'll put a vid up in a sec.

fixit

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »
this may help regarding the welder
http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8045.0

id best update that thread

;D great progress
f

jonny126

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the link bud, it should prove useful!!

Well progress has halted some what again, mainly due to money but mostly due to me having a disagreement with a grinder/slitting disc, and me then needing 8 staples in my shin. Fail. Anyway, I got straight back on the horse the next day and cut the front off the fiat. Wont go any further until I manage to buy some panels, so I know where to cut/weld. I dont want to get stuck and find Ive removed too much material.

I need to grind back the last of the sound deadening, and once I've got some gas I'll start welding up the floor.

fixit

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:31:03 PM »
 :o ouch
hope your repairing well sounds bad

those spot weld drills arn't that bad for removing wings (if that's your next destruction,) once spot weld centre popped first
if the angle grinder misbehaves
nice pictures by the way
heard today from 'this morning' another heat wave coming  ;D
keep safe
f

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
dont give up on it I was here a while back -

its worth it when you drive it again!
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

jonny126

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
cheers for the support guys! Glad to see its all been done before. So for the wings just drill the spot welds eh? Just the first skin or all the way through?

Stuey, thats exactly how mine will end up. I've never driven one before though, so don't know what they're like to drive! Should be entertaining.

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Use a spot weld drill and only through the first layer. Once the bit is off grind the remaining spot weld off to fit the new part.

Ralph

jonny126

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
Cheers Ralph thats a great help.

Ive had a pretty hectic summer, ended up having to leave the place we'd just moved into as the landlords suddenly got a divorce. Sometimes it cant be helped but blimey we'd only been there 2 months!

Anyway, moving house sapped all the spare funds, so apart from buying and steering wheel, boss and moving him to the new place nothing has happened. Nothing will until I finish uni properly in late May. I can still buy bits here and there but I want to get the course over and done with first!!

On the up side, the new place has a double garage, so plenty of late winter nights can be spent tinkering away in the dry. Some pics.

Oh before I forget. Ages ago I bought a new switch column as the original had all the stalks snapped off. I bought the replacement of a G reg BIS but the wires were cut, and are different to the ones in my car. Are there different wiring looms for different BIS? Or is it just an early/late thing? I only ask as supposedly they were both G reg cars. . .

Scarlettkitten

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Nice project car, glad to see you've got somewhere dry to work on it.  Don't give up, it's worth it in the end I've rebuilt VW beetles way worse than that. Gd luck :)
1990 126 BIS

jonny126

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:33 PM »
Small small update, made a pool ball gear knob for the fiat and the volvo.

Nothing on the bodywork yet. Come April I should be free to really get cracking on it. Can't wait.

jonny126

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
Well I'm bordering hand ins for uni so I've started ordering lots of bits for the 126. Engine parts, panels, king pin kit, bushes, all ready for when I finish uni so I can get cracking. Got a friend coming round with 2 welders in April, and the girlfriend is away for the weekend so weldathon ahoy!! Only needed front wings and front panel. The bonnet is in dire need of being thrown away but I couldn't stretch to get a replacement at this point. It'll hold its shape for an MOT ha ha. If anyone knows of one going please let me know!

I popped some 13x8 ET -10 wellers on, which when lowered, will suit the car something awesome, though some arches will be needed! I will of course be going for a smaller profile and width tyre, probably 165/55. It'll be quite a stretch but will fit under the arches fine with modification. I'm ok with with modifying the body as its far from mint condition!

Needs the jacking points done and a patch on the sill and rear RH quarter, as well as replacement metal behind the front panel, and a battery box. Got that ordered too.

I literally cannot wait to begin work properly. I'd love to get it going for the gathering, but we'll see. I'm not aiming for any sort of time, as I dont get on well with deadlines. Looking forward to driving it, no idea how it'll drive!

jonny126

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:37:44 PM »
Oh one other thing, does anyone know how to stop the whole gear lever rotating around? Nothing is undoing, but it just keeps spinning.

j60dnl

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Oh one other thing, does anyone know how to stop the whole gear lever rotating around? Nothing is undoing, but it just keeps spinning.

Snap!

My gearknob has Abarth printed on it and OCD comes into full force when everytime I change gear it spins round a bit! Grrr  ;D