Author Topic: Front Disc Brake Conversion  (Read 39475 times)

drcdb15

Re: Front Disc Brake Conversion
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »
Sounds like the "holes" that your bleed nipples screw into aren't. They're blocked. Or not fully drilled through. Or drilled through off-centre (this would explain why the OSF doesn't let fluid through when the nipple is screwed in - the nipple seating in its hole must be sealing off the underlying hole).

I bet you don't want to hear this, but I suspect you need to remove the calipers and properly inspect the nipple holes to make sure they're clear, free of swarf and solid grot etc, and maybe run a small drill through the oilway hole to make sure it's clear all the way through.

This is assuming of course that you don't have some massive leak elsewhere that the fluid escapes through as a path of less resistance than that offered by the bleed nipple path.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:59:57 PM by drcdb15 »

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
Yes I second that, they shouldn’t cause any drama when bleeding. It should be pretty straight forward like any other car. Daft question but are all the pipes and hoses ok?
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
One point to note. If you are using cinquecento type calipers the near side calliper on the cinquecento fits to the off side on the 126 etc. Otherwise the bleed nipples are on the bottom of the callipers.

pietschokkenbroek

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
In the process of rebuilding my front brakes I found both brake hoses blocked with dirt....

(And of course the bleeding nipple should be at the top of the caliper to get all the air out...)

Good luck!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:55:00 AM by pietschokkenbroek »

DannyPancho

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
Hi guys thanks for your feedback,

My calipers are from a seicento and how they are mounted at the moment, the bleed nipple is at the top end of the caliper (higher up) but as a result is pointing downwards, if i switched the calipers round, the bleed nipples would be at the lowest end of the setup but the nipples would be angled upwards. Would i be right to switch them round?
Also, when i do this i will check the holes for blockage - there appears to be no leaks elsewhere and the brakes did work when the drum setup was on so i believe there should be no issues with the lines

Thanks again guys
Dan
Fiat 126 DeVille

drcdb15

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2018, 12:41:11 AM »
One way to find the blockage point probably best done with 2 people is this: disconnect the hoses at the CAR end, and block each exposed open pipe end with a small bung. In turn, while the other person presses the brake pedal, remove each bung while holding a jar in place to catch the fluid. The fluid should pour out at high rate if the line is clear. Assuming your jar was clean and dry, pour the collected fluid back into the master reservoir, then connect up each of the hoses - JUST the hose, leaving the wheel end of the hose open. Then bung the open end of each hose and repeat the test. At the same time, of course, you can visually inspect each hose joint/coupling for any obvious dirt or swarf.

Once the hoses all check out OK, you can then fit a caliper to each hose - just left hanging loose for now, to make catching the fluid easier. And with no bleed nipple in place. Repeating the test wil confirm the internal oilways within the caliper as being OK.

If this is now OK, then still with the caliper loose for easy handling, fit the bleed niples - again, check visually for any dirt or swarf. If you get any problem now, you know it is with a faulty bleed nipple, or some alignment problem with the bleed nipple seating into the caliper body. Don't forget, errors in manufacturing CAN happen, and in castings like calipers holes can sometimes be drilled incorrectly. It may be, if that's the case, that the most cost-effective remedy is a replacement caliper.

In my experience, obsessive cleanliness when working on brake lines saves a lot of head-scratching over possible blockages.

DannyPancho

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2018, 02:13:31 PM »
Ive managed it now, i swapped the calipers over and one side started bleeding lovely, the other sides nipple had  some odd blockage in it... i thought it was grease or what-have-you, then i touched it... solid... turns out it was a part of the bleed nipple cover which had been squashed into the nipple head!  :P i had noticed perviously that there was a hole in the cap but didnt think the rest was inside the bleeding bleeding nipple!

Anyway, so now they are bled, just need to test, pedal doesnt seem to go hard though when compressing with car off, is that expected of this conversion?

Thanks for all your help!!
Fiat 126 DeVille

drcdb15

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
Another win for the combined efforts of Team Club126  :wave

mintex

• Subscribers
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
Hi all, ive finally got around to doing my disc conversion and all has gone well except i dont have the bolts for the   fiat cinquecento brake hangers, does anyone happen to know what size/thread they are please?

Cheers
Dave

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2018, 07:30:47 AM »
Hi all, ive finally got around to doing my disc conversion and all has gone well except i dont have the bolts for the   fiat cinquecento brake hangers, does anyone happen to know what size/thread they are please?

Cheers

Bolts are M10 fine or M10 x 1.25  :)

mintex

• Subscribers
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »
cheers mate  :good:
Dave

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
remember to specify 12.9 grade bolts.
The caliper bolts are in used in sheer.
The original bolts would have been 10.9 grade or 12.9 grade.

Michael
Rust does not discriminate

nunohflima

• Instagram
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »
Hi Guys!
I am from Portugal and I have a 126 of 74 "and wanted to convert from 4x190 to 4x98. Is it possible to use the braking of the fiat 127 from the first series? If not what parts of what car can I use to do the conversion? (I want to apply discs on the front).

welshdresser

« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Hi,
I'm almost halfway through my polski fiat disc brake conversion and now realise that the wheels are going to rub against the brake calipers :-(
Where can I get some spacers to move the wheel out a bit? I think it would only need to move 10 or 15 mm at most.
I've seen some things on ebay, but they look horrendously expensive just for some discs with holes in!
Cheers,
Matt