Author Topic: Motorcycle Engine Swap?  (Read 5831 times)

stefanzhr

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« on: February 28, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »
Has anyone ever tried putting a motorcycle engine in a 126?
Just imagine one with a harley v-twin....  :cool:

I'm considering importing an early 70's 126 from Poland to the US (there are none here :!: ).  The car would probably cost around 50 USD so i might as well get 2 (1 for parts) and i think the shipping for both would be around 800 (yes, i am crazy enough to pay 1600% of an item's value for shipping  :shock: ).

Anyway, i'd want to leave the outside basically the same, update the interior and add some amenities (like air conditioning, good but not insane sound sysytem, cup holders), fabricate a roll cage (to stiffen the car and protect me), but most importantly i'd boost it.

The engine that comes with the car is decent to start with, but there is NO aftermarket for it in the States and there is only so much one can do with it before it explodes, so replacing it with a larger 2-piston motorcycle engine with a large aftermarket seems like a logical step.

Also, to make the car compatible with transmissions designed for the engine i would like to cenvert it to be chain-driven.

I realise this would be a lot of work, but the main reason i want this car is the fun of modifying something unique into something thats one of a kind.

Does anyone have any experience with such a swap or anything i mentioned here? Any help is appreciated.

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
hi there!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:05:52 PM »
hi there, a member has phoned me and told me to pass this information onto after reading your post. The book privides information, on comparitive tests, provides insight into the workings of the engine and theory on modifications. The cimpauter prgramme which comes iwth it, allows you to input the engine type and get stats/improvments.

he said its well worth buying this book.

desktop dyno's book with a computer programme

ISBN: 1-884089-23-2

motion software based in california,

he recomends this book,

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

VESPA210CM3

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:20:11 PM »
:twisted: Quite a mad project ... but can be done I think !
 :twisted: Some of my friend put some Yamaha RDLC in Vespa or Lambretta Scooters ... so why not a HD1340 engine in a 126 !
is for FIAT 126 BIS ... VESPA & LAMBRETTA !

paul harbinson.

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:43:13 AM »
Fireblade engine is the way to go.Already been done in a 500.Oh yes welcome to the club there fella  :D Ive seen picture's of a 126 in New York I think so it would'nt be on it's own and FIAT did export the 500 to the State's for a while.Would be cool to see a bambino over there.I've said it a few time's before I get my head melted (in a good way :D )with people asking me where they can get a 126 over here.Still rather have one over a Jag or an Aston(maybe a xjr in black and 20" split rim's on it).......nice :cool:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

stefanzhr

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:49:39 AM »
Thanks, I'm glad to be welcomed so kindly. I'll look into finding that book.  

Anyway, i'm sort of a novice (a determined one) so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sam

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 09:21:58 PM »
stefanzhr,

I would be interested to know how you make out importing your cars.  I am looking to bring my 126 back to the states in a couple years.  If there are any odd hoops you have to jump through, that would be good to know.  You can PM me, I'd enjoy staying abreast of the import process

Sam

stefanzhr

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:27:29 AM »
The US has a law stating that cars more than 25 years old do not have to be modified to meet US standards when imported.

So I think imorting a car is as simple as putting it on a container ship, filling out a form, then finding an insurance company that won't laugh in your face when you try to insure it.  Then again, nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

But if your car was made after 1981, either wait until your car is 25 years old, or buy another car because the kind of work and money that would go into importing the car would be comparable to starting your own car company (research the problems people in the states face when trying to import nissan skylines).

Bruce

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:55:40 PM »
how about a BMW boxer engine or even one out of a cossack if you got the version that they coppied from the Germans you may even be able to rig up the 2 wheel drive to work on the fiat.

Tommo32

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »
if you wanted to use it its better to go for a tougher engine such as a tourer or cruiser. a mate of mine found that out when he put an r1 engine in his westfield and burned the clutch out in the first 1000 miles, it then went on to disintegrate till he binned it eventually. they just arent built to pull that amount of weight, ok for trackday cars but not on the road. i think the best conversion would be VW beetle but ive not really heard much about it apart from the fact it can be done. i wouldent mind a crash damaged triumph rocket 3 to get the motor out of! now that would be amazing.

gregs656

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 11:56:05 AM »
there doing kits for smart cars now

busa engines 3 -9k depending on how much of the work you do and how many parts you source your self

a guy put 2 R1 engines in a mini . . . . that would be fun.
The Hunt Continues. . .

bis13

takes the biscuit
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »
i personally think the most mental engine instals are the nutters who build the old brooklands style racers and use aeroplane engines to power them !!

Bruce

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 08:46:39 PM »
do you remeber the guy who made a car fitted with a RR merlin engine in the 70s, its on the web somewhere its called the beast but i con't find it yet.

paul harbinson.

Motorcycle Engine Swap?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 08:12:44 AM »
There was a boy in I think Classic Car's last month who had spent year's boulding a special with a merlin engine.Looked fantastic.There is nothing quite like the sound of a Roll's Royce merlin givin it the herb's and spice's
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!