Author Topic: Couple of things...  (Read 3692 times)

kitten75

Couple of things...
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
Hi

I have now got my little car back on the road after being in the garage for 2 months!! I bit the bullet and put a new engine in and touch wood/fingers crossed all seems to be going well.  Absolutely loving having him back - forgot how much fun they are to drive (and the attention you get!).

Firstly, have had some unwelcome attention and some hooligan has snapped the aerial off !  Not a drastic problem I know but if anyone has a spare one kicking around or if you know where I can get one from that would be great - Please note I do not want to stick a wire coat hanger in it!!

Secondly, now I have the car back I want to do everything I can to keep it on the road (!).  Darrell mentioned something about changing/moving the thermostat to help with the cooling - does anyone have any info on this/recommendations? 

All advice greatly appreciated!

Mhairi

PS when I picked the car up from the garage, note had been stuck on the windscreen from someone interested in buying it!  Chucked the bit of paper straight away...no way am I selling.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Couple of things...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
Great to hear that you have got the car back on the road. I did feel for you as you seemed to be at the mercy of the mechanic. Was that a brand new engine  ???
I am sure that the "Water Boys" will point you in the right direction re cooling.
Shame about the aerial but it always amazes me how some of the "hard of thinking" elements that roam the streets can't quite cope with a car that is out of the ordinary unless it has been chaved up. Should be a fairly easy fix but when I bought a brand new Bis & had a radio fitted by the garage they used one of those short rubber ones that were in vogue at the time.  [-/

ciaoflyer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
If it is a BRAND NEW engine would like to see some pics of it! :D
Ciao4Now

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »
Glad to hear your back , the car was designed to have a thermostat , if the engine is a good one you shouldnt have to take the stat out .

Mines done 20k, 5k of which i have done , 2-3 hours at 60 -70 mph , stuck in traffic jams at the Dartfort tunnel temp does not budge as it was meant to do, just maintain the car,its oils and coolants and it should be fine .
Steve
13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

kitten75

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »
It is a BRAND NEW engine, direct from Fiat...don't ask re cost and labour!  I feel really silly as I've not even looked at it...will take some pics and post them!

Re being at the mercy of my mechanic, I do trust him 100% as I've taken cars to him for about 10 years...he wasn't overly impressed when I rocked up in my 126 but he thinks it's now running the best it ever has, i just hope that i don't have too much more bother with it.  I sold my other car to pay for the new engine so now the 126 is my only mode of transport.  He wants the 126 back in a couple of weeks to check the levels and torque?!  I have no idea about this stuff but wish I did!

Mine has done 33k and I had only done about 50 miles before it broke down on me! Bought it mid July, broke down 31 July then got it back last week!  Think the thermostat chat was something about moving it closer to the cylinder head to facilitate cooling? I am paranoid and keep my eye on the temp gauge constantly especially when stuck in traffic...

If anyone wants to pass on any basic car maintenance tips then I'm all ears!

Mhairi

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »
There was a modification available, I thought Pete might remember it. It was available from Ricambio where they move the thermostat closer to the head which meant it would react quicker, I dunno.

PETE!!! help!

When I had a kettle i took the thermostat out as it didnt take long to warm-up and safer just not to play with a component whose potential to cause disaster.

In theory I guess standard is fine.

Hey Mhairi why you say it's noisy now?

'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

kitten75

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »
It's weird, it makes different noises now than it did before...mainly in first and second gears, bit of a screeching sound then it calms down in 3rd.  Plus loses speed in 4th if going bit too slow but that's probably normal, i just need to get used to engine...

Mhairi

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
It's funny you say it's just different, every time i do anything to mine it sounds a bit different.

Screeching sounds a bit odd, maybe thrust bearing, mine screeches every now and then but have thought sod it, I'll sort it one day when I replace the doggy clutch which I've meant to for 2 years now  :oops:
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

kitten75

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »
Exactly - it's running and that's all I care about...i'm sure the noises will become reassuring in time!

m

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »
Sounds like a new gearbox needed to me ;D

Sorry only joking. Pleased that you are mobile and enjoying the car. No excuse not to turn up when we all get together :-)

kitten75

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »
THAT'S SOOOO NOT FUNNY!!!  I am a total beginner re all things mechanical and winding me up is too easy!

can't wait to meet other 126 mentalists/owners!

m

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
 :D You have already met them just by being on the forum  [-/
I would guess that a lot of the members have been following your progress even if they do not post.
But seems like you have taken the King's Shilling & bitten the bullet so it looks like you are in it for what I hope will be a smooth ride  :D

1973/126

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
 Good to hear you back on the road again in your Bis. Just make sure you take it a bit easier for few hundred miles. Don`t over rev the engine. I`m assuming it needs to be run in as it`s brand new.
 Good luck and lots of happy miles [-/
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

ypsilon_lancar

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:36:43 PM »
I remember when i had a Citroen BX(  :oops: ) and the head gasket went, for years after i used to always have a keen eye on the temperature needle! ( i only stopped when i got a car without one for a few years!!). Glad your all sorted with it now.  My 126 makes all kind of noises and rattles (and whines with a few pops!!!), its always strange getting back into my modern car from it.  Leaving work today someone shouted "get that thing over here, the grass needs cutting!!", oh and the other day it was "Have you come in that car that sounds like a Hoover today?".  They just wish they had something cool rather than boring Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc!!  8)

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
There was a modification available, I thought Pete might remember it. It was available from Ricambio where they move the thermostat closer to the head which meant it would react quicker, I dunno.

Pete's already had one fitted the last 5 Years :P It works very well but I don't think its available anymore :(

Hi Mhairi,

Glad your 126 is back on the road "long may she/he Purrrrr" Don't be worried about the new noises it take a while for the new parts to bed in
[-/ 
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo