Author Topic: Engine failure  (Read 6127 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Re: Engine failure
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 06:03:06 PM »
I had to bring it back twice the same day. It didn't overheat, but the needle went two thirds of the way. Normally, the needle sits at the center of the gauge. You could hear a "steaming" sound coming out of the cap where you pour antifreeze. Also the the new idling solenoid does not appear to work. The idling drops too low when the fan switches on. I can't increase the idling as the choke is malfunctioning. Move the lever up, the idling doesn't change much. You can see choke mechanism/cable move maximum/minimum, but the idling level does not respond. Apparently, there is a pin in the carb that control the choke/idling solenoid, and this bit need fixing - it was explained to me, but not sure. Hopefully, they can fix it.

They kept the car of for a day or two previously to iron out the above. I looks like they didn't do much with it in the the two days they kept it.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
Apparently, there is a pin in the carb that control the choke/idling solenoid, and this bit need fixing - it was explained to me, but not sure. Hopefully, they can fix it.

I don't understand what they mean by a pin in the carb? I'm sure mine doesn't have one :headscratch:

Check that they have bled the cooling system the nut on top of the radiator and the pipe on top of the heater box in the front luggage compartment

Make sure all the vacuum pipes are connected the right way round (below)

The choke won't work properly unless it's clipped into the bracket that is bolted on with the exhaust nuts, check they've put the bracket on? (below)
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Xylaquin

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 11:45:44 PM »
perhaps by "pin in the carb" they mean the mixture screw.

However it's the fast idle screw they need to be adjusting if the new solenoid isn't work. Could just be that it's not set correctly and so when the fan kicks in the revs aren't raising enough. Adjust the screw, which adjusts the vacuum, which adjusts the revs when the solenoid is active and boom- sorted.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 06:27:54 AM »
Also check the vacuum lever on the side of the carb above the front spark plug (nearest the front of car) . It could be that the solenoid is working perfectly but the mechanism that pulls the throttle open slightly is not connected properly so the revs are not rising. Make sure the the little white clip is on at the vacuum end and that the lever is still connected to the carb - I have came across some carbs that just don’t have them almost like they’ve fell off!.

They could also have simply knocked a connector off the solenoid so worth just having a look there too.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 12:33:18 PM »
They nailed it. I drove the car home this morning without any issues. I think it runs better than before. The throttle solenoid works well. The idling does not change when the fan switches on. The choke now works as it should. The temp gauge rises to the middle (or just under), and stays there. The engine has been decoked, so acceleration seem better.

So far, it is running extremely well. I will drive it again later.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
Many thanks everyone for your assistance. Drove it for an hour or two. Love it.