Author Topic: starter motor  (Read 1765 times)

The Doctor

starter motor
« on: January 17, 2006, 07:00:10 PM »
Hi everyone :D
Help, please :?: My starter motor has developed the habit of sticking, I get nothing when I pull the starter lever, but if I rock the car in gear, she fires up first time when I pull the lever :?: Obviously, something is amiss with the starter bits, but what :?:  Your tips and advice greatly appreciated.
Graham
you can do it in a 126 (I have!)

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
starter motor
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:12:49 PM »
i think i remember learning from on here, that the teeth on the flywheel get chewed. So the starter has problems turning it.

Im sure Paul Harbinson had a similar problem i will try and dig out the post. I think you can simply move the flywheel round so when the engine stops its not always on that same tooth.

Hope this has helped a little, im sure someone will provide you with better help

Graham did you sort the snaped exhaust bolts? or whatever it was i cant remember.

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): fiat126club@gmail.com

DavieH

starter motor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »
I sympathise with your starter motor woes...I'm on my third one! I'm wondering if its something to do with having to crank two cylinders to fire (less chance of a spark catching). I've never had so many problems with 4 or 6 pots.

A good healthy battery helped me so that the crank speed was as quick as it could be hence the system struggles less. I had the same 'starter stalling' problem a few months back and found that pushing the car a little forwards in gear shuffled everything around a bit.

Sometimes I'm tempted to get a really strong bit of string to wrap around the flywheel...or maybe a big clockwork key  :lol:

paul harbinson.

Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:53:30 AM »
Hi guy's mine has the same problem I've come to conclusion that it's the gear in the starter sticking and not returning back after it's fired.Take the starter out,clean and lube theshaft that the gear spin's on should work.I have'nt done mine yet.....can't be arsed if it stck's I just hang my leg out,put it in gear and rock it (in true Italian style). :lol:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

The Doctor

starter motor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice and tips - glad to see I am not the only one with a leg sticking out :!: so you don't have the monopoly, Paul, of looking like a scooter :P  I'll take out the old starter and give it a clean; thankfully Berushka is so small, pushing my BMW 7 or the Range Rover aint so funny :twisted:
Yes Chris, sorted the exhaust, with great advice, again, from Paul in N.I. seems a common problem with stripped threads on the ally block, so helicoil inserts is the answer- tried it for the first time, a little shaky with nerves, but it worked a treat.  A pity that the helicoil set cost about three times that of the new exhaust, manifolds, gaskets, bolts and locking washers all together, but that's life :!:
If anyone gets a chance to lok at the customising topic, would appreciate advice on the direct-to-head exhaust system.
cheers and thanks a million guys, this site really is the works :D
Graham
you can do it in a 126 (I have!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal