Author Topic: Brake Shoes  (Read 1646 times)

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Brake Shoes
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:47:19 PM »

got these off ebay, i think my breaks feel a bit weak, i need to bleed them and stick new pads and shoes on really.

any tips whilst bleeding? it seems a simple job

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): fiat126club@gmail.com

DavieH

Brake Shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »
Hi Chris

I recently did the brake shoes on my Peugeot 106 Rallye (now gone to a new home this weekend, so just the BMW and the BIS left on the drive...for now... ;) )

A few tips I learned (assuming the set up is similar):

Sometimes the shoes wear a grove into the drum...a little bit of a shove should get them off, but beware on refitting...they can unseat the shoes when putting them back together if a lip has developed.

Have a look at your brake cylinders inside the drum - they can sometimes be the cause of poor braking, and they shouldnt be wet. If they are, replace the cylinder or just clean out the current one and replace the seals in the cylinder if they've perished and the rest of the cylinder is good and well seated.

Use copper grease on the pivoting bits...will stop the brake shoes binding up under excessive heat or harsh conditions.

Bleeding is best done as a two-man-job. Brake bleeding kits are only a few quid. Put some fluid in the bottle. Pop the rubber hose on the nipple and undo it slowly. Make sure the end of the hose in the bottle is below the level of the fluid. Then you pump the pedal slowly to the floor and get your mate to keep an eye on the air bubbles until they stop. Unless renewing all the fluid, make sure to keep the reservoir topped up as you pump. Push a decent amount of fluid through the system and then tighten the nipple again. Job done. (think I've remembered most of the steps - no doubt someone will remind me if I've missed anything)

Its not that hard really.

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Brake Shoes
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:12:54 PM »
blimey cheers dave, i appreciate that.

its just that if im going to do a job, i like to do it properly, hence why i put the question up. Anyway can stick new shoes/pads on but may not solve weak brakes.

so thanks for the advice!

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): fiat126club@gmail.com

paul harbinson.

boat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 08:01:02 AM »
Right Chris jump on the ferry and I'll fit them for you :D We'll get on the ramp in work and you can have a look at the Aston's eh? :D
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal