Author Topic: petrol type?  (Read 4122 times)

daniella_bis-girl

petrol type?
« on: March 29, 2005, 12:04:01 PM »
Hi everyone.
I've just been given my 1st car which is a 1991 126 Bis!  :D
The man we got it off said that he always used unleaded,but when reading the downloadable manual on the club 126 uk site,the 1st page states that it uses 4star! Can somebody help me and clarify what petrol I should be using? And if it is 4star,would the previous owner have done any damage by using unleaded?
He's a lovely little car and I don't want to hurt him!!  :oops:
Thanx..

f500126

• Administrator
petrol type?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 01:31:54 PM »
hi
no worries!
the bis model is ok on unleaded petrol!
the older models (air coolded versions) cannot run on unleaded petrol without modifications.
 :P

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Petrol
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:49:27 PM »
Just to reasure you daniella, i run mine on unleaded too, you can get lead replacemnt  but i dont think their is much need. for future reference Remember to get the Centrifugal oil filter cleaned. ias its built into the engine many people just dont bother as its a hassle to clean out. The other thing is to check the thermostat makesure its in good condition as i feel these are the flaw of the BIS, it was the cause of my head gasket to go. i hope these points have helped. Just remember to tell the person wh is servicing the car.

Im 18, and my mums BIS was going to be my first car, last year but after we had fixed the head gasket it went again i nearly cried, i had spent 5 months doing it up!! and i had my test the following week. One last thing to mention the UK 126 club is now running started just over a week ago, members get 10% discount off 126 parts, from ricambio.

Chris Lakin (founder)

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): fiat126club@gmail.com

wald0

petrol type?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 03:15:06 PM »
For every 126 BIS unleaded fuel is ok.
Since 1992 air cooled fiats are also adjusted to work with unleaded fuel.
(engine number greather than 6621475)
126p (FIAT MALUCH elx) '97 air cooled

paul harbinson.

Petrol
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 07:56:07 AM »
Its good to know about the unleaded issue.Im on my fourth 126 now and for years on unleaded,all the cars were of varing ages(late 70's onwards)put thousands of miles on them with no valve regression.In fact there is a book in work which lists all cars that are unleaded compatable(it was published about 1990).It states that both aircooled and BIS can run on unleaded. :lol:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

Chris Lakin

petrol type?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 10:18:06 AM »
thats good i thought it was just the BIS that was ok on unleaded!

Chris

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Re: Petrol
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:39:38 AM »
Quote from: "paul harbinson."
Its good to know about the unleaded issue.Im on my fourth 126 now and for years on unleaded,all the cars were of varing ages(late 70's onwards)put thousands of miles on them with no valve regression.In fact there is a book in work which lists all cars that are unleaded compatable(it was published about 1990).It states that both aircooled and BIS can run on unleaded. :lol:

According to "Autodata unleaded petrol information manual" which is the bible for unleaded vehicle information:

Fiat 126

652cc  1977-87  126A1,000 (engine code)  NO UNLEADED
703cc  1987-89  126A2,000 (engine code)  YES UNLEADED

C
 :)

paul harbinson.

petrol type
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 07:50:07 AM »
Your right mate checked the auto data book myself.I think we need to use a rule of thumb here.Valve ression is caused when lead is not there to lubricate the valves.This is accelerated by two factors milage and speed.In the early ninties rep mobiles (mostly vauxhall smokers )were dying because of annual milage and mostly motorway miles(were engine is working hard at a constant speed).My point is I dont think any of us are going to do that milage and I think the cost would outway the advantages.In other words drive it on.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
petrol type?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »
your probably right paul.
But to be on the safe side I use an unleaded additive as well, they only cost a couple of quid...just to be on the safe side :roll:

C
 :)

paul harbinson.

petrol type?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »
Just rite matey better safe than sorry :lol:

Chris Lakin

petrol type?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »
yer i agree with you both, somtimes you have to weigh up the cost to the chance of damage. If i ran my aircooled engine on unleaded it would forever be on my mind the damage i may be causing! but like you said Paul we dont race up and down the motor way!

i got a 131.6 miles out of my BIS, i filled up yesterday, i did the sum and its working out at 44.32 MPG which im certainly happy with as i though i had fuel contaminatng the oil, does this mean that becuase im getting a good MPG that i was wrong about fuel in my oil???, everyone tells me im imagining it, but im sure there is a wiff of petrol. its quite thin too!

i just got my tyres done for the microcar rally in nottingham im posting details about it tonight! it cost me ?120 for 4 new tyres inc fitting they're half decent tyres too.

regards

Chris

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
petrol type?
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »
Chris

What size tyres do you have on your bis?
I did have a contact selling 135x12's new tyres for around ?30 for 4.
I had to fit them myself, but thats no problem with those size wheels!

C :)

Chris Lakin

petrol type?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 03:09:34 PM »
really? yes they are the ones!

i think what i paid was ok ?30 a tyre goodish brand, inc fitting not bad? would be good to get some more, as they are becoming rare, i had to wait 2 weeks  :lol: maybe that was the companies fault!

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal