Author Topic: more power?  (Read 3009 times)

Paul Clough

more power?
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
:???:
Has anyone ever squeezed a bigger engine in a 126? I'm looking to gain more power...

any suggestions will be greatfully recieved.

Paul
Its a What?

126dave

more power?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:19 PM »
there are many ways to gain power,all the way from a correct service,thro panda 30 etc mods to cinq motors all the way up to Chevy V8 small block (5.7 litre/350 ci) or indeed big block (454ci)..same size blocks incidently........and...to use a well known hotrodders phrase.....how £a$st do you want to go???....none apart from a decent service are easy,and to top it all the gear box breaks easy.  :cool:

oh,and you have to uprate the suspension and brakes as well.... :wink:
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Tommo32

more power?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
much thought i have given this. i rekkon for a quick car 200bhp would do ;)

100bhp would make it very very nippy. sticking a front wheel drive car engine in the back seems like the best idea to me. infact i might start looking for a bis to butcher. did fiat ever make a small FWD car with a turbo? im sure a mate of mine used to have a punto turbo or summot.

126dave

more power?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »
turbo uno.....all these conversions are great,and some fab/crazy ideas have been thrown around on here,the reality is,engine swaps? only one site regular has had the skills and will power to get anything done/finished to road worthy condition.....the rest???well a few 126's have died for no better reason than someones fantasy.... :roll: .so i ask,just think it thro before you get the blue spanner out eh lads?....... :wink:

Tommo32

more power?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:34:11 PM »
oh aye its all pub talk obviously. but you have to discuss these things, I would love to do somthing trick. time is not the issue, i have the skills, but money is the problem.

126dave

more power?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »
i didnt mean to offend anyone,so thanks for your reply.

what about just going for a good solid 40'ish bhp??? a light car with good brakes and handling and 40 hp is fine....mine cannot light up the tyres,and never will,but its great fun and still retains its essential character,i like the idea of a 4cylinder conversion,but i like fighting with the twin more!!!!  :smt092

Tommo32

more power?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:28 PM »
yeah, i know what you mean. but dont tell me you wouldnt mind the novelty of a 126 thar runs a 12 second quarter!

ps big block chevy an SBC dont use the same blocks.

126dave

more power?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 08:05:10 PM »
he he he your right,id like that,i also know the blocks are diff,but people do get the wrong idea when big and small block is bandied around,i was refering the overall dimensions,not being that different...sbc is lovely eh?same size as the buick/rover lump,yet so much better.....no wonder GM binned the buick eh?  :lol:

i think id go for a 600 if i wanted more grunt,with the late fwd abarth block etc etc....an abarth 1000 TCR replica would light my candle more than a 4cyl modded 126.....and historic racing becomes accesible as well,but then,im just an old fart eh?

Paul Clough

more power?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:06:55 PM »
:shock:
Blimey Guys!! So many ideas, so quickly... has anyone done any of these crazy things?

I'm not looking to set a new land speed record or anything, but I just fancy the challenge... I have basic but much used mechanical skills so will need some help along the way....

I'd like more torque rather than massive speed!! eventually I want to cut an other 126 in half and make a trailer out of the back end... Hense the torque.... I did this with a friend of mine with an X1/9 and had great results.

I might just be daft enough to try... does anything bolt directly onto the gearbox?... Or might a flat 4 VW or Subaru engine fit???

Paul
Its a What?

126dave

more power?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:24:13 PM »
google around my friend,its all been done with varying results !!....youtube will show you how the poles try to destroy 126's.....the rimmer brothers will show you how a space framed V8 126 will go down the strip....... :wink:

Tommo32

more power?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 11:16:56 PM »
Quote from: 126dave
he he he your right,id like that,i also know the blocks are diff,but people do get the wrong idea when big and small block is bandied around,i was refering the overall dimensions,not being that different...sbc is lovely eh?same size as the buick/rover lump,yet so quote]

Ive never been a fan of the rover V8. got one in the land rover and its ok but nawt spesh. the thing about big/small blocks is that there isnt a massive power difference once you start tuning them

This is my dads hot road, 351 (5.7l) small block ford, bout 425 bhp, sweet motor, runs smooth enough, not too violent, good on the street

And this is a mates rod, 454 ci big block chevy, much bigger, heavyer lump, producing about 500bhp, very violent to drive, especially with the manual box, drinks fuel like no tomorrow... but it looks the part..

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
more power?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »
Quote from: "Paul Clough"
:shock:

I might just be daft enough to try... does anything bolt directly onto the gearbox?... Or might a flat 4 VW or Subaru engine fit???

Paul

Many talk about this but most remain just talk, there are lots of cheap fast cars out there so if you want cheap speed then its probably better to just buy a car thats quicker out of the box....

....but if you like a challenge, have mechanical knowledge and you have some money to waste then there are some good sites in poland, have a look at:

http://www.sebcyc.xt.pl/
http://www.126fan.pl/

For parts to fit a Fiat fire engine to 126 gearbox have a look at:

http://www.trs-racing.yoyo.pl/wersja%20angielska/index%20eng.htm

They do adaptor plates, brake conversions etc. We were thinking about selling copies of the cast alloy adaptor plate that we made for my car but TRS sell a plate for about £35.00 which we could not get anywhere near. They also do the engine mounts/hanger

Also have a look at my site:

www.retro500.com

It shows various engines fitted to 500's including a VW engine and box. Remember is it will fit into the back of a 500 then it will go in to an aircooled 126 as there is a little more space (slightly longer).

The standard gearbox is the limiting factor if you wish to retain it, it might cope with a realitivly standard 1300 VW lump but beyond that it will break very easily. The strongest boxes are the 500R boxes which have no syncro (need to doubble de clutch for changes).
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

Paul Clough

more power?
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 03:54:45 PM »
:D
Many thanks for that!! these sites are really useful...

Paul
Its a What?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal