Author Topic: MCA coupe for sale  (Read 2354 times)

amam

MCA coupe for sale
« on: July 15, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »
not just any MCA coupe but the original coupe which was built and improved by the creator of the whole car design

sadly its been painted white now, it looked alot nicer in its original turquoise

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282101178170?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1973/126

Re: MCA coupe for sale
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »
 I don`t think those two cars are the same car. At least it doesn`t look like it to me.
 I believe the blue one was a demonstrator car and probably chassis no1. Could be they just swapped the plates from one car to another back in the day which wasn`t uncommon.
 Looks like the white one is still registered as a 126 on the log book.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

drcdb15

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
Yes, I was wondering how come "the original" one was number 4 ... ?

Also, you'll notice the front indicators/side lights are completely different from the magazine photo.

drcdb15

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
And too of course the headlamps.

1973/126

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
 And I have just remembered that my friends from 126 Fan have cars chassis number 03 and 04, one of them being a convertible and the other one being a coupe. Hmmm strange.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

amam

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »
I don`t think those two cars are the same car. At least it doesn`t look like it to me.
 I believe the blue one was a demonstrator car and probably chassis no1. Could be they just swapped the plates from one car to another back in the day which wasn`t uncommon.
 Looks like the white one is still registered as a 126 on the log book.

i thought the same about the log book........its just registered as a 126 without alteration unless it has any "special notes" saying its a kit car which was a loophole back in the 1980s

ive got all the road tests for this car with one in the 1990s, he seemed to swap the indicators and numberplate alot along with grills etc so anything possible?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:13:21 PM by amam »

amam

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »
well i wasnt expecting it to sell for that much

drcdb15

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »
Indeed, it's a good price, of course sadly eBay has something of a history of people bidding over the odds on rare cars and then failing to honour the deal, so we'll see if the purchase gets fully completed. I've contacted te seller to ask he asks the buyer to get in touch on this Forum - or it someone already on here?

Anybody ?

1300ot

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
"And I have just remembered that my friends from 126 Fan have cars chassis number 03 and 04, one of them being a convertible and the other one being a coupe. Hmmm strange."

Hello.  I have this car!

It's chassis number is 000400.  May I ask what chassis numbers other people have? 

Also what type of wheels do you think were originally fitted, or fitted in the magazine article?  Were they steel wheels reversed?  It looks like the bolts are a much bigger diameter than the pcd so perhaps a cover was bolted on?  Someone I know suggested Personal wheels?

Can anyway hazard a guess on the shade of Turquoise - was it a Fiat colour?

I was thinking of fitting a DMZ or FZD Dell'Orto carburettor - anyone used these on an otherwise standard engine?

1973/126

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »
 Welcome to the forum. It`s nice to see you made it on to here.
 There is another 126 member in Colchester :)

In the original photos it had the early wheels/hubs fitted, which were the same stud pattern as the classic 500s. I`m assuming it would have also been fitted with a 600cc engine and was based on an early donor car.
 Looks like someone has modified it later on in it`s life?
 Maybe it would be worth rubbing a bit of paint down to see if it is blue underneath.

Your car could be the first one ever built if it`s the same car as in the pictures. The car in the pictures was a demo car. The chassis number also indicates this.
 My friends car is number 000404 which makes it number 4.
 The one I`ve got is a later convertible version which is numbered completely different.

The FZD is the preferred choice when tuning these engines. Rusty`s Uncle on the forum is your man if you go down this route.

Looking forward to the updates on this.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

1300ot

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
Thank you kindly :)

It has a 650cc engine fitted (judging by casting on engine).  I'm not too hot on 126's so don't know too much about them.

How do I tell if it's got early or late brakes fitted? Is there something I cam measure on them?  I need to order up some brake cylinders.

I'll try and start a thread on the restoration pages in the near future......

drcdb15

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »
Hello and welcome again to the Forum  :welcome

I think that's three MCAs now in membership, isn't it - or are there more lurking out there, hidden away....   ???

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »

It has a 650cc engine fitted (judging by casting on engine).  I'm not too hot on 126's so don't know too much about them.

How do I tell if it's got early or late brakes fitted? Is there something I cam measure on them?  I need to order up some brake cylinders.

Hi , interesting to hear about your car. 650 on the cylinder head casting does not necessarily mean that it is a 650 engine as the cylinder heads are interchangeable . You would have to measure the bores to check that out.
If you have the wider pitch wheel bolt pattern as opposed to the later 98 PCD wheels then you may well have the earlier brake set up however if you have the standard 126 master cylinder then you can use any of the cylinders as they are interchangeable also and the later cylinders would give you a little more braking power   :)

amam

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »

Can anyway hazard a guess on the shade of Turquoise - was it a Fiat colour?

I was thinking of fitting a DMZ or FZD Dell'Orto carburettor - anyone used these on an otherwise standard engine?

the turquoise is the colour of the gelcoat as the cars were never painted they were sold in coloured polished gelcoat

also be interesting to know does it say anywhere on your log book if its a kit car? may have a line in the special notes
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:27:25 AM by amam »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal