Author Topic: Idiot?  (Read 3603 times)

Potto

Idiot?
« on: May 22, 2005, 05:56:09 PM »
Hi everybody,

Have just bought a 126 bis G reg.  with no MOT or tax and hoping to get it through MOT after sitting inactive for a year or so. I have no mechanical knowledge but learn't to drive in a 500 and thought it would be a fun to own a fiat again.  It is in great condition (minor rusty bits and leftover squirrel nuts in back seat) and seems to run really well but I found a notched elastic band type thing hanging off in the engine. . . . . (am assuming the fan belt???)  I wonder if you could tell me if I can drive it to a garage without a fanbelt on or not.  Oh and Hi I hope it's ok to join in, although not car knowledgeable am affectionate towards the little bugs....

My husband thinks I'm an idiot and have spent far too much on a car I know nothing about with  no mot or tax and he is probably right, but hell whats the point in living if you don't take risks?

126dave

mad risk-taker
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 06:08:28 PM »
Hello Potto,Dave here,you sound like the perfect person to own a 126,welcome!.
as for the fan belt hanging off,well,its not advisable to drive anywhere with it in that state! :? .........the BIS engine is a fragile item,and it will not tolarate too much without good servicing,especially the cooling system.
get it towed to the garage before it gets damaged.
good luck with your new bug!
dave
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

maxlee

• http://www.trampdrift.com
Idiot?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 06:35:52 PM »
hi and welcome to the fourm  :D

good to here u are saving one more 126 good work

lee
TrampDrift its for winners

stuey

• Subscribers
Idiot?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 06:44:40 PM »
Hi potto and welcome, re the belt, it should be the alternator drive belt as the bis has an electric fan (left hand side of the engine bay, as long as it starts it should go to the garage ok (just make sure its got water in the colling system (as dave says the bis engine is a fragile beast when it come to cooling as i have learnt myself)

as for being over charged how much did you pay what condition is it and and how many miles has it done??
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Idiot?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 07:11:26 PM »
if the belt drives the water pump on the bis I would not attempt to drive it!
any one know if this is the case?

Potto

Idiot?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 07:31:22 PM »
eeer thanks for that appreciate your knowledge and comments, I paid 264 pounds it's a g reg 1989.  Body seems sound, not sure haven't looked at the underneath a few rusty scabs around wheel arches. engines seems clean done about 31000miles. door and boot locks a bit stiff and clunky. Appears surprisingly rust free for a fiat.   Is the belt easy to put back on? Could I have a fiddle and do it myself do you think or should I leave it to the mechanics.  (Wouldn't want to break a fingernail obviously) but short of funds having spent that much on the car.........

stuey

• Subscribers
Idiot?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 07:40:14 PM »
I reckon you got a fairly good deal i paid ?220 for mine from ebay with higher miles on its a f plate and was of similar condition,

as for the belt if it is that its just a matter of loostening the alternator adjustment fixing bolt pulling it in then putting the belt back on then pushing the alternator back out then tightening the bolt again couple of spanners and about 10 minutes... (nails allowing  :D )

as for the water pump i assume its behind the crank pulley or driven internally, cos the only thing which is driven off the crank pulley is the alternator (went in the garage and had a look just now.)
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Potto

Idiot?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 07:50:08 PM »
Thanks Stuey, thats reassuring about the price... now all I have to do is work out which one of those things in my husbands tool box is a spanner....thanks for the advice.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Idiot?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 09:48:25 PM »
You could use an emergency belt to get you going to the garage. Handy to keep in the boot afterwards for emergencies!
http://www.motortraders.com/xcart/catalog/product_17105_METRO_Emergency_Fan_Belt.html

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Idiot?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 10:47:54 PM »
firstly welcome potto and i hope you join the club!!!

i believe the water pump is driven from the crank, yes im sure it is, when i replaced the thermostat its seems like it comes off that, and yes its an electric fan on the bis, keep it toped up with water, the first thing i can recomend with purchaseing a bis is to replace the thermostat. This is where the fata flaw of the BIS is, in its cooling system.

I did loads of research a while back and found that the thermostat is too far away from the engine head, so its in a cooler location so opens much later, between 84 - 89 c i think, or somthing like that. I have found a garage which converts the thermostat over to the head so opens much earlier,. the other option is to buy a thermostat designed for a hot country so opens much earlier, or altrenatively remove the thermostat so the engine is alwats cooled. However this mean the engine doesnt warm properly. look out for light brown thick oil, keep the water toped up with 50% antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor, (aluminium engine' corrode very easily) must do this myself!!!.

This is the knowledge my brother passwed onto me a while ago, i hope it helps, im sure most of you know all this already and know much more but i believe its good advice!

i will be setting a date for the runnymede bbq meet this week so keep an eye out everyone.  :wink:

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): fiat126club@gmail.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal