Author Topic: DeVille  (Read 2961 times)

126blackbird

Re: DeVille
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
OMG has scrap metal gone up in price

drcdb15

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »
Doubt it, but someone has snapped up a registration worth perhaps £500 or more for just £84.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
Doubt it, but someone has snapped up a registration worth perhaps £500 or more for just £84.

The only problem with that is that the car has to be MOT'd Taxed and road legal to transfer the plates :D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

drcdb15

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:10:41 AM »
The only problem with that is that the car has to be MOT'd Taxed and road legal to transfer the plates :D
Not so, apparently. According to the government web site, you can transfer the number onto a retention certificate if:

"Your vehicle must be:

registered with DVLA
    taxed or have a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) in place within the last 5 years
    available for inspection"

Clearly if it's on SORN, as this 126 probably is, then there is no requirement for insurance, and hence not for tax or MoT either.

Once you've got it on retention you can sell it or transfer onto another vehicle, it seems. Unless I've missed something ?

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:28:04 AM »
Now that's interesting :) I do have another vehicle with an interesting number which is on SORN In the past to transfer a Reg Number the Vehicle had to be road legal, I'll check that out!

Thanks
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

drcdb15

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Transferring plates is not an area I am overly familiar with, but since DVLA started getting in on the action it seems they've made quite a load of money, and in more recent years as you doubtless know they even auction to the highest bidder - wasn't it late last year that a Ferrari dealer paid about £250K for "25 O" to go on a Dino 250 or whatever (I'm not up on Ferraris either !).

Anyway, point is, since there's money to be made from plate transfers, even if it's only £80 a throw to DVLA for "administration" (yeah, right!), you can bet your life the government will be looking to make things easier, not harder, so they can skim off their slice of the pie.

One of the rules on the site says cars pre-1960 need to have an MoT. Quite what the logic is there I don't know. A 1959 car needs an MoT and a 1961 car doesn't ? Go figure  ???

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:51 PM »
Bit of a thread hijack but this has stirred memories of reg numbers that I have seen or owned. Might be a generational thing because I guess you do not remember JK55RWQ or the like these days (sorry if that is your reg I just made it up)
One of my best pals had a Ford V8 pilot back in the 60's that had the reg JOY 97 . We cruised in it for about 2 weeks before the insurance company decided it was not a good idea . I bought an Austin Healey mk1 Sprite where the previous owner had removed the original reg EVE 4 and replaced it with WAR 628. My 1937 Talbot 10 is AMW 27 which I believe is still on the road after I rescued it. My second car was another mk1 Sprite 7080 NO. My 1947 Sunbeam Talbot was FGA 375 now exported to Europe . What would they be worth now?
The Watford youth club I went to in the 60's was very much dominated by Rockers and one of the crazy bikers there gave up 2 wheels and turned up in a red E-Type Jaguar  with the reg 5NOT , not to be sniffed at  :)
When I worked in a drawing office that overlooked the centre of High Wycombe I often saw an Aston Martin Volante out the window that had the reg OO7

Xylaquin

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
There's an obnoxious land rover that I've seen on the M8 that has the reg plate P55 OF. or something like that.
Ofcourse who knows how much EN09 LND, SC07 LND and WA01 ESS must have sold for.

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »
I've got PO51 BUG for sale for any V-dubbers out there...
Every cloud has one...

drcdb15

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 05:40:24 PM »
Apparently the grand daddy of these threads is on Pistonheads (haven't seen it myself) but a fellow RSSOC member Will Anderson lifted the idea and started this on the Reliant forum:

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27778&hilit=personal+plates

It's been running for ages, and has some very amusing (or amazing!) examples on it. Somewhere buried in there (over 400 posts so far...) you'll find one from me about a lady company director at a place I used to work who allegedly had BJ 69.  I never saw it myself, but knowing some of the directors and what they drove (and how they behaved!!) I have no reason to doubt it...

Xylaquin: I think I've seen that P55 plate too, on the M74. I presumed it was one of the fitba' players living around Bothwell... seems to fit their attitude (imho, of course!!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal