Author Topic: Engine sump/drain plug  (Read 119 times)

Njkip

• Subscribers
Engine sump/drain plug
« on: November 17, 2021, 09:39:20 pm »
Well you know when you wished you'd never started... has anyone had any experience in removing the engine dump while it's still in the car, I've just replaced the out drive shaft rubber boots and went to change the engine oil...drained it off, come to put the plug back in and it wouldn't tighten....on closer inspection it's become clear that the previous owner has stripped the threads in the casing. It must have been glued in or something because it felt ok as I undid it. Anyhow it is what it is....🙄🙄 so my options are to remove the sump and repair it properly.... is this easy enough engine in situ, if so anything to look out for?   or I was wondering about helicoiling?. Does anyone have any ideas or advice ...also does anyone know the size/thread of the sump plug.....thanks....Nigel..

Pete126

• Administrator
Re: Engine sump/drain plug
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:10:08 pm »
There's enough meat around the sump plug to re-tap the next size up without taking the sump off just use plenty of thick grease on the tap to collect the swarf
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 11:06:14 pm »
Thanks pete I was wondering if anything could be done in situ....I'll have a look at doing that,  I was surprised how short the drain plug is, there's very little thread length, given the depth of the casing...no wonder it's stripped, not much to bite on! Thanks again...👍

jerrymet62

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 08:43:17 am »
Nigel
Just a thought - new engine sump on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182093127121?hash=item2a65989dd1:g:JfEAAOSw1eZfxoya
Regards
Jerry

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 02:18:40 pm »
He jerry, thanks mate but that's for an air cooled model...mines water cooled...thanks anyway tho...regards...Nigel...hope you're doing ok with yours...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal